- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Arum wants Pacquiao vs. Mayweather in Macao, China
- IRON BOY PROMOTIONS ANNOUNCES IRON BOY 16: EL PASO
- Fight Network Presents Galahad vs. Dos Santos LIVE Boxing this Sat. at 5 pm ET
- NY Golden Gloves Champion Earl Newman to make pro debut Oct 4
- The United States’ Jose Alday, Jr., and LeShawn Rodriquez Advance in Leszek Drogosz Competition in Poland
- Mchunu-Wilson Final Press Conference Quotes
- Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Premieres This Saturday on SHOWTIME Immediately Followed By “ALL ACESS: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Epilogue”
‘Golden Girl’ To Feature On Lauren-Retzke World Title Card On July 5th
Marianne Marston, the young woman dubbed ‘Golden Girl’ by the late, great Heavyweight legend Smokin’ Joe Frazier, is set to return to the scene of her sensational debut in April, the York Hall in Bethnal Green, London, on Friday the 5th July, where she will take part in the Dave Murphy, in association with Acourtier Events, promoted ‘Independence Day’ show, which will be headlined by the World Championship battle between Sweden’s Mikaela Lauren and Germany’s Jennifer Retzke.
Marianne, who took just one minute and forty seven seconds of the first round to dispose of Hungary’s Gabriella Roman on April 27th, is clearly overjoyed to be back in action again so soon, as on receiving news of her next fight she said.
“This is so exciting, getting to fight on the undercard of a World Championship fight on just my second outing.
It’s even more special to me as I have campaigned so hard for Women’s boxing in the UK over the past few years and now I’m fighting on a show headlined by a Women’s World Championship bout, it just doesn’t get any better than that.
Thanks to Dave Murphy I finally had my debut fight in April and now, just a few weeks later, here I am getting ready to fight again in July.
This is just wonderful news, I can’t thank Dave enough for giving me the opportunity to fight on this historic event.
This means so much to me as finally I am able to repay my fantastic sponsors, Optimax, Winkball, BoxFit and the TRAD TKO, that have stood by me through thick and thin since 2010.
I was a bit disappointed that my debut fight was so short, I hadn’t intended to stop Gabriella so quickly, just that’s the way I’ve been taught to fight.
My style is pure ‘Smoke’ (Joe Frazier), it couldn’t be anything else, I mean it was Joe, Marvis (Frazier) and Val (Colbert) that developed my style, I was trained by them for two years, two wonderful years that I will never forget, so no surprise that my natural fight style is what it is.
I wouldn’t want it any other way, Joe took me under his wing and I’m proud that I was finally able to repay him with a good solid ‘Smoke’ style win. My only disappointment was that he isn’t still with us to see me get my debut win.
Luckily for me, my coach at the TRAD TKO, Barry (Smith), loves Smoke’s style too, he didn’t try to change it too much, instead he’s added to it to make me a much more rounded fighter, one that can box on the outside instead of one that’s happiest only working on the inside.
I know I didn’t do too much on the outside in April, but it was having that ability that allowed me to break her and get on the inside in the first place.
I’ve been back in the gym since the Monday after the fight, so am going to be even more ready for July 5th.
For my first fight I couldn’t get very much sparring, luckily though my good friend Angel McKenzie stepped in to help me with a couple of full on sparring sessions.
This time though Barry has a back up plan, besides getting some regular sparring organized, he has a few of the guys from the gym to move around with me when he wants me to try out some new stuff.
I’m not promising a longer fight, but hopefully this time I will get to showcase my boxing skills a bit more.
I can’t wait to get back in the ring, it’s where I’m supposed to be and where I intend to be as often as possible now I’ve finally got the chance. “
Marianne Marston versus a yet to be named opponent will feature on the undercard of the Mikaela Lauren versus Jennifer Retze Light Middleweight World Championship clash that headlines the Dave Murphy, in association with Acourtier Events, promoted ‘Independence Day’ event at York Hall in Bethnal Green, London on Friday, 5th July 2013
Tickets, priced £65 (Ringside), £35 (Floor) and £30 (Balcony) are available on-line at www.tkoboxoffice.com – www.mariannemarston.com – www.acourtier.com – or in person at the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym in Canning Town, London E16 4SA – www.tkoboxinggym.com – or the Ringtone Gym in Euston, London NW1 2PB – www.ringtonehealthandfitness.com – Tel: 07960 850645 or 07557 641597 for further information.
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things