- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
- ‘The Hammer’ To Make Bolton Statement
- Iron Boy Promotions Announces Iron Boy 16: El Paso
- Fight Network Presents Galahad vs. Dos Santos LIVE Boxing this Sat. at 5 pm ET
- NY Golden Gloves Champion Earl Newman to make pro debut Oct 4
- The United States’ Jose Alday, Jr., and LeShawn Rodriquez Advance in Leszek Drogosz Competition in Poland
- Mchunu-Wilson Final Press Conference Quotes
Bradley vs Provodnikov: HBO World Championship Boxing returns Saturday Night from California
HBO Sports’ flagship boxing series returns with an intriguing doubleheader headlined by the return of Timothy Bradley Jr. in a welterweight title fight when WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING: TIMOTHY BRADLEY JR. VS. RUSLAN PROVODNIKOV AND JESSIE VARGAS VS. WALE OMOTOSO is seen SATURDAY, MARCH 16 at 10:15 p.m. (live ET/tape-delayed PT) from the Home Depot Center in Carson, Cal., exclusively on HBO. The HBO Sports team of Jim Lampley, Max Kellerman and Roy Jones Jr. will call all the action, which will be available in HDTV, closed-captioned for the hearing impaired and presented in Spanish on HBO Latino. Other HBO playdates: March 17 (10:30 a.m.) and 18 (11:30 p.m.) HBO2 playdates: March 17 (4:45 p.m.) and 19 (11:30 p.m.)
In the 12-round main event, undefeated Timothy Bradley Jr. (29-0, 12 KOs), a lifelong resident of Palm Springs, Cal., defends his world welterweight title against Russia’s Ruslan Provodnikov (22-1, 15 KOs). Bradley soared through the junior welterweight ranks, defeating all challengers, and scored a controversial split-decision victory over superstar Manny Pacquiao on June 9, 2012. Now the engaging and confident 29-year-old makes his first title defense at 147 pounds.
Born and raised in Beryozovo, Russia, the battle-tested Provodnikov is known for his aggressive, come-forward style. For his HBO debut, the 29-year-old will have Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach in his corner.
In the opening bout, undefeated welterweights Jessie Vargas (21-0, 9 KOs) and Wale Omotoso (23-0, 19 KOs) make their HBO debuts in a ten-round contest. Las Vegas resident Vargas, 23, looks to continue his quick ascent in the pro ranks. Omotoso, 27, is a native of Nigeria who trained in Australia before beginning his pro career in America in 2011.
The special “Road to Rios-Alvarado II,” setting the stage for the highly anticipated March 30 rematch of junior welterweights Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado on HBO, debuts immediately following the doubleheader (12:15-12:30 a.m. ET/PT).
Follow HBO boxing news at hbo.com/boxing, on Facebook at facebook.com/hboboxing and on Twitter at twitter.com/hboboxing.
All HBO boxing events are presented in HDTV. HBO viewers must have access to the HBO HDTV channel to watch HBO programming in high definition.
The executive producer of WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING is Rick Bernstein; producer, Thomas Odelfelt; director, Marc Payton.
® WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING is a registered service mark of Home Box Office, Inc.
WBO ANNOUNCES REFEREE AND JUDGES FOR THIS SATURDAY, WORLD TITLE BOUT BETWEEN TIMOTHY BRADLEY AND RUSLAN PRVODNIKOV IN CALIFORNIA
SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO- World Boxing Organization (WBO), by president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, announced today the referee and judges who will work this Saturday, March 16, in the world title bout between welterweight champion Timothy Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov to be held at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, in a Top Rank presentation.
For the WBO welterweight (147 pounds) champion, Bradley’s (29-0, 12 KOs) first defense of his belt against the #3 ranked Ruslan Provodnikov (22-1, 14 KOs), from Russia, the referee will be Patrick Russell.
Meanwhile, the judges for Bradley-Provodnikov are Raul Caiz Sr., Marty Denkin and Pat Connolly, all three from California. The WBO supervisor for this fight will be Richard de Cuir.
The bout between Bradley, a former WBO junior welterweight champion, and Provodnikov will be broadcast on HBO this Saturday at 10:15 p.m.
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things