- Collazo wants Khan on Mayweather-Maidana undercard
- MGM Grand in Las Vegas selected as official site for Mayweather vs. Maidana mega-fight Saturday, May 3 live on Showtime PPV®
- Broner: I'm ready to beat the f*** out of Amir Khan!
- Solis to face Tony Thompson for the WBC international championship on March 22nd
- "TOE TO TOE: CANELO VS. ANGULO" FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTES
- JOSHUA CLOTTEY heads to Australia for Showdown with ANTHONY MUNDINE on April 2
- Donovan George return to the ring postponed to April 18
- GLORY 14 ZAGREB & ZAGREB SUPERFIGHT SERIES WEIGH-IN RESULTS
- WBC News
- Weights for “Horseshoe Presents: Fight Night at the Belvedere” 3.7.14
- RICKY HATTON UP AGAINST HARRY REDKNAPP AND ALEX FERGUSON
- GB Boxing names 10 seeded boxers to compete in England Boxing’s National Senior Elite Finals
Holm vs. McGee, Final Mayhem Of The Preachers Daughter
When World Boxing Federation Women’s World Light Welterweight Champion Holly Holm, 32-2-3 (9), makes her first defense of this particular championship on May 11 at the Route 66 Casino Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico, it will also be her last.
She is favored to defeat opponent Mary McGee, 20-1 (11), on Fresquez Productions “Mayhem” show, but “The Preachers Daughter” has decided that this will be her last bout, win or lose, and that she will in the future concentrate on her career in Mixed Martial Arts:
“When we were deciding which way to go with my future, my trainer, Mike Winkeljohn, said it best, “You want to climb a new mountain.” This thing has created a new spark in me and I’m following my heart”, said Holm in a recent statement.
“I’ve never been a paper champion. I’ve grown so much every step of the way. I’m in this fight, on May 11,100 percent; I’m not distracted. This is obviously an emotional, spiritual and physical journey and I’m so grateful for the people who have supported me. I just want to fight where my passion is (MMA).”
Holm, who is also the reigning WBF World Welterweight Champion, is by many considered the best Pound-For-Pound female boxer in the world. At only 31 years of age she has had an amazing career in professional boxing, and captured no less than THIRTEEN world titles in three weight classes.
After re-capturing the WBF title at Welterweight in a rematch with Anne Sophie Mathias last June, Holm moved down in weight to lift the Light Welterweight crown with a shutout decision over Diana Prazak in December. While she didn’t lose a round in that bout, Holm will not be facing a push-over in her first defense, and final boxing match!
“Merciless” Mary McGee (26) turned professional in 2005 and has won various minor titles on her way to what will by far be her biggest fight on May 11.
This past December, on the undercard of Holm vs. Prazak, she stopped perennial contender Victoria Cisneros in four rounds. Cisneros has twice gone the distance with Holm and lost a world title-challenge to Cecilia Braekhus on points, so the fact that McGee handled her with such ease underlines the fact that she will be a major threat to spoil Holms retirement party.
“Mary McGee is a bright, talented boxer who earned this world title shot”, promoter Lenny Fresquez said when announcing the match-up.
“She impressed us all last December in her fight on the Holm-Prazak card at Route 66 Casino Hotel. Unlike others that call-out Holly, only to break negotiations because they were never serious, Mary is stepping up to the plate like a real fighter.”
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- Chavez Jr. decisions Vera II; Salido beats Lomachenko
- Full Fight Video: Abraham Beats Stieglitz, first defense scheduled for May 31st
- Deontay Wilder vs. Malik Scott: The road to the heavyweight title
- Ricardo Alvarez vs. Sergio Thompson Elevated To Saturday’s SHOWTIME PPV Telecast
- Underdog Angulo to use incarceration to inspire victory over Canelo as trainer Hunter predicts a ‘savage affair’ ahead of clash live on BoxNation
- Stiverne vs. Arreola: Finally a change in the heavyweight scene!
- Hunter confident Khan will get Mayweather fight in the near future
- Hopkins vs. Shumenov on April 19th on Showtime at DC Armory in Washington, D.C
- “TOE TO TOE: CANELO VS. ANGULO” FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTES