- Maidana: First I’m going to give Mayweather a beating, and then I’m going to KO him
- Anthony Joshua sparring with Wladimir to get him ready for Kubrat Pulev fight
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Maidana doubts Mayweather can improve from previous fight
- Roach: Algieri isn’t in Pacquiao’s class
- Golovkin vs. Rubio, October 18 at StubHub Center
- Pacquiao & Algieri 27,000-Mile Media Tour Starts Monday!
- United States’ Boxers Undergo Final Preparations for Youth Olympic Games Competition in China
- GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS, FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES CELEBRATE THE ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES
- WBO VISITS BOXING GYMS IN PUERTO RICO TO HAND OUT PREPAID CARDS TO STUDENT-BOXERS
- How World Champion Sindy Amador Developed her Love for the Sweet Science
- Joey Dawejko headlines on Friday, September 19 at Harrahs Philadelphia
Hopkins defeats Cloud; Thurman decisions Zaveck
By Bill Phanco: 48-year-old Bernard Hopkins defeated IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud by a 12 round unanimous decision to capture his IBF title at the at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, New York, USA. The final judges’ scores were 116-112, 117-111, 116-112.
Undefeated welterweight Keith Thurman (20-0, 18 KO’s) put in an impressive power punching display in pounding out a nice 12 round unanimous decision on against #1 WBO Jan Zaveck (32-2, 18 KO’s) in an WBO title eliminator bout. The victory locks Thurman in as the mandatory challenger for WBO 147 lb. champion Tim Bradley.
The judges scored the fight 120-108, 120-108, 120-108. Thurman kept a constant flow of power shots raining down ont he shorter Zaveck through the full 12 rounds.
Zaveck didn’t throw a lot of punches in the fight, as he mostly trying to keep from getting hit by Thurman. It proved almost impossible to avoid Thurman’s constant flow of shots. However, Zaveck did discover late in the fight that Thurman’s power wasn’t nearly as dangerous in close as it was at the distance. Zaveck stayed close to Thurman in the last four rounds, and he didn’t take nearly as much punishment than he had early in the fight.
Bradley will likely use the blueprint that Zaveck created in how to nullify Thurman’s power by staying close to him at all times, and forcing him to fight on the inside.
Undercard boxing results:
Michael Perez MD 7 Lonnie Smith
Eddie Gomez TKO 1 Javier Gomez
Frank Galarza TKO 2 Guillermo Ibarra
Stivens Bujaj UD 4 Zeferino Albino
Marcus Browne TKO 1 Josh Thorpe
Claude Staten Jr. UD 4 Mike Hill
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Deontay Wilder not worried about Stiverne’s power
- Shannon Briggs vs. Cory Phelps this Saturday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Hearn hinting Khan may need to be B-side against Brook