- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn "Showtime" Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- AWE to Air WBA World Championship LIVE this Saturday
- THE HALF-SOLVED “MAYWEATHER VS. PACQUIAO”
- “Payasito”-Tostado in the works for May in Mexico
- A Trio of U.S. Boxers Earn Preliminary Round Victories at the 2014 Youth World Championships
- Chinese Taipei impress in Sofia
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
Iron Mike trainers discuss Aug. 23 fighters
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (August 15, 2013) — Trainers working at Iron Mike Boxing Gym recently discussed the progress of their fighters in terms of how training camp has developed for Iron Mike Productions’ first event – “Tyson is Back!” – August 23 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York.
Acquinity Sports, under CEO Garry Jonas, partnered with Hall of Famer Mike Tyson to form Iron Mike Productions, which is presenting “Tyson Is Back!” in association with Greg Cohen Promotions.
Claudio “The Matrix” Marrero (14-0, 11 KOs), Alexei “The Cuban-Mexican” Collado and Albert “Prince” Bell are three fighters training at Iron Mike Boxing GYM who will be in action Aug. 23.
Team Iron Mike Boxing co-head trainers are veteran corner-man Herman Caicedo, who was recently joined by two-time world champion John David Jackson.
Anybody who loves boxing knows about “Irish” Micky Ward. The epic Gatti-Ward battles are always mentioned by experts, analysts and boxing fans as one of greatest trilogies in boxing history. Now, as a supervisor at the Iron Mike Boxing Gym, Ward is seen early every day, passing on his valuable experience to all the boxers that train under the direction of Caicedo.
Marrero, Juan Carlos Payano, Lenin Castillo and Felix Diaz had great amateur boxing experience and these days, as professionals, they’re proving their tremendous successes in international tournaments was not a fluke. Marrero has all the tools to become one of the most exciting fighters in the world at 126-pounds, mixing a rare combination of outstanding speed and strength.
Marrero faces dangerous Argentinian southpaw Jesus Andres Cuellar in the 12-round co-feature for the Interim World Boxing Association featherweight championship. Marrero-Cuellar is half of a World Championship “Tyson Is Back!” doubleheader, airing live on ESPN Friday Night Fights. Marrero’s stable-mate, International Boxing Federation (IBF) super featherweight champion Argenis “La Tormenta” Mendez (21-2, 11 KOs), makes his first world title defense in the 12-round main event against IBF No. 13-rated Arash Usmanee (20-1, 10 KOs).
Claudio Lamothe, a former amateur boxer in Cuba who has a college degree in Physical Education, has applied all his experience and knowledge of Cuban boxing as Caideo’s assistant with fighters such as Collado, Humberto Savigne, Yudel Jhonson and Robert Alfonso. Collado (16-0, 15 KOs) meets Mexican featherweight Hugo “Guerrero” Partida (19-4-2, 15 KOs) in a 10-round bout on Aug. 23.
Lamothe is convinced that Collado’s will keep his unbeaten record intact. “In every fight we learn something,” Lamothe said, “but when work in the GYM is well planned, the margin of mistake decreases, and that’s what we try to achieve with all our fighters. Alexei Collado has an impressive record and our work is focused on improving him, getting him in great shape and learning the best technique. Coming to U.S. was a dream comes true, now we must keep our goals in mind, and I know that Collado will do a great job in this fight.”
Andy Bell is the father and coach of his son, super featherweight Albert Bell (1-0, 1 KO), the 2011 PAL Championships and 2012 National Golden Gloves Tournament gold medalist. Bell, who takes on former World Boxing Organization (WBO bantamweight champion Mauricio “Cry Baby” Martinez (36-14-1, 24 KOs), of Panama, in a four-round bout, made his successful professional debut June 28, defeating Harold Torres by technical knockout in four rounds. “Training with these talented guys is a privilege for us,” Andy remarked. “Little by little, Albert is gaining experience, something we knew we wouldn’t have in a single day. We are happy to be part of the Iron Mike Productions team and in this fight. We go into it looking for another win and more experience.”
Mendez, Marrero, Collado, and Bell were promoted by Acquinity Sports and are now fighting under the Iron Mike Productions banner.
Tickets priced at $150, $95, $55 and $45 are on sale and available to purchase at the Turning Stone box office, by calling (315) 361-7469, or visit www.Ticketmaster.com
Doors open at the Turning Stone Resort Casino Event Center at 6:00 p.m. ET, Friday, August 23. The first undercard bout starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. The live ESPN2 telecast begins at 9:00 p.m. ET.
Iron Mike Productions, previously Acquinity Sports, is a boxing promotion company co-founded and led by Acquinity Interactive CEO Garry Jonas. It is a partnership with Hall of Famer Mike Tyson committed to changing traditional boxing promotion by advocating for its fighters’ successes inside the ring and out, throughout their professional careers and into retirement.
For additional information go online at www.IronMikeProductions.com or www.TurningStone.com.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity