- WBC – Aug. 28, 2014 – Jose Sulaiman Boxers Fund
- GOLDEN BOY LIVE! RETURNS TO FANTASY SPRINGS RESORT CASINO ON OCTOBER 9 HEADLINED BY “RONNY RIOS VS. ROBINSON CASTELLANOS”
- “Cornered: Kenny Bayless” Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 9 on HBO®
- MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS’ FIGHTER MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES FOR SATURDAY’S SPECIAL EDITION OF SHOBOX: THE NEW GENERATION
- GOLOVKIN VS. RUBIO, Ticket Details, October 18 StubHub Center
- Red Dawn: Beterbiev vs. Cloud Sept 27 in Montreal
Ivan Calderon Helping Jonathan Gonzalez For Segura
GUAYNABO, PUERTO RICO- Former two time world champion Ivan “Iron Boy” Calderon trained today with unbeaten Jonathan “Bomba” Gonzalez and advised him for his upcoming match against former world champion Giovani Segura to be held on August 17 at the International Ballroom of El San Juan Resort and Casino in Isla Verde, Carolina, Puerto Rico, in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) presentation, in association with Top Rank to be broadcast on DIRECTV.
Bomba Gonzalez (13-0, 11 KOs), who is going to face Segura (29-3-1, 25 KOs) for the WBO Latino flyweight title in a bout scheduled to 10 rounds, worked this afternoon at the Felix Pagan Pintor Gym in Guaynabo, where Calderon is actually the Administrator and Trainer.
“I have been talking with Ivan (Calderon) a lot because he jogged on the same track where I worked. He has said me how to fight against Segura and who is the best to says that to me that Ivan Calderon, who faced Segura two times”, Gonzalez said about Calderon, who retired in 2012 with world championships in 105 and 108 pounds and a record of 35-3-1, 6 KOs. “Ivan has advised me to keep ready for the pressure Segura put in his fights, his punches to the stomach area and his long right hand”.
Gonzalez and Calderon were shadowing long time while Calderon tought and advised Gonzalez in simulation of the Seguras’s style in the ring. Then, the fighters sparred two rounds with Calderon pressuring Gonzalez and fighting like Segura, and the younger boxer working in counterpunch.
“I told him (Gonzalez) that he has to be in movement always because Segura likes to put pressure. Bomba is in good shape and good condition as I can see during training. That is very important because Segura is a tough fighter”, said Calderon.
Also in the show Dominican Felix Diaz (13-0, 7 KOs), a Gold medalist at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing China, will fight a rival to be announced in a 10 round fight at the welterweight division. Cuban Yudel Johnson (14-1, 9 KOs), a Silver medalist at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, will face a foe to be named in the junior middleweights scheduled to 10 rounds. And former superbantamweight contender Jonathan “Polvo” Oquendo (22-3, 15 KOs) will return to the ring in an eight round and featherweight division bout against Brian Ramirez (10-4, 5 KOs).
Four more fights will complete the show.
- Comanche Boy Cruises To Victory Over Tracy Sneed
- Shannon Briggs destroys Cory Phelps in 1st round TKO
- Don “Da Bomb” George claims IBO Super Middleweight Belt
- Mhlongo & Mlotshwa Impressive In WBF Title Fight Victories
- Results from Friday’s “New Blood” Event in Corona, CA
- Trout gets off the canvas and back into the win column
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Andre Berto Eyes Impressive Showing in September 6 Ring Return
- Marcos Maidana Interview Transcript
- Mexican Boxing Legends Talk Marcos Maidana
- Nonito Donaire vs. Nicholas Walters on October 18th at StubHub Center, Carson, California
- Exciting Times for Randy Petalcorin
- Golovkin-Rubio “Mexican Style” Kick Off
- Jermain Taylor — FESSED UP TO SHOOTING COUSIN … Cops Say