Google+ Button Facebook Button Twitter Button

Ads by Yahoo



James Smith withdraws from bout with Johnny “Wite Boi” Determan



Chicago, IL, Monday, November 25, 2013–On Sunday, November 24, Detroit super flyweight “Machine Gun” James Smith (7-0, 5 KOs) informed Hitz Boxing that he would not be able to make his contracted weight of 117 lbs for his fight with knockout artist Johnny “Wite Boi” Determan (7-0, 6 KOs) of Omaha, NE. This battle, between two fighters with perfect records, was to be a part of Bobby Hitz’s talent rich “Fight Night at the Horseshoe: The Black Wednesday Battle” on Wednesday, November 27 at 7:00 PM in Hammond, IN.

“Well I’m disappointed that it came to this. I was more than ready to shut his mouth, He’s a bum and unprofessional. I don’t want to share the same ring with him because he don’t deserve it,” said Determan. “I hope he enjoys his Thanksgiving and is thankful that he didn’t get in ring with me.”

In a November 14 conference call promoting their Smith claimed he was at weight and ready to go.

“I am in tip top shape. I’m ready to go, we can fight tomorrow,” said Smith. “I’ll make weight and everything.”

This is the second time that Smith has withdrawn from a fight with Determan, who has had 15 opponents back out of fights they had agreed to. In September of this year he backed out of a bout between the two unblemished fighters citing a leg injury.

“James Smith’s word and signature are worthless. I am shocked by his unprofessionalism,” said Bobby Hitz. “Last week I praised him for taking this fight, but he has to realize that he has to follow through and live up to the commitment he made. He disrespected the sport of boxing with this second withdrawal. He should be ashamed of himself and reconsider if he has what it takes to be a boxer.”

After Smith’s manager informed Hitz Boxing that 122 lbs was the lowest he could get, Determan agreed to fight him at that weight only to see Smith decline the heavier weight.

During the call Smith bragged about being Detroit and representing Kronk Gym, which was led by the late legendary boxing trainer Emanuel Steward.

“Smith needs to understand the legacy he claims to represent when brags about being from Kronk as he did in the conference call,” said Mike Cericola, Hitz Boxing’s director of boxing. “Emanuel Steward represented the best of boxing, Smith represents the worst of boxing.”

Team Determan worked hard to get Johnny in shape for this fight and they shared their frustration following Smith’s withdrawal.

“I am sick that Johnny has trained so hard for this wanna be fighter. Not once but twice he has pulled out on us,” said John Determan. “Everything happens for a resin and I believe God was protecting him from being hurt. Johnny would have hit him so much he would have thought he was surrounded.”

Determan’s trainer, JB Hurd, is ready to move past Smith and move on to the next challenger.

“I’m only disappointed for Johnny. He doesn’t just claim to be a boxer he is a true boxer. He was ready for this and will be ready for the next one,” said Hurd. “For the other one, who’s name I won’t mention because he ain’t worth it, he’s not a pro boxer, he’s not even a real man, and he’s not worth anymore of Team Determan’s time.”

To listen to the original Determan/Smith conference call visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_B4dQWuYg&feature=youtu.be

Tickets are available at The Venue Box office and hitzboxing.com, doors open at 7:00 PM.

To listen to the full Canas/Mendez interview click here.

Tickets are available at The Venue Box office and hitzboxing.com, doors open at 7:00 PM.