John Thompson and Antoine Douglas remain undefeated with wins in the sooner state
NUTLEY, NJ (May 14, 2013)—This past Friday night, John “Apollo Kid” Thompson and Antoine “Action” Douglas remained perfect with bog victories at the Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Oklahoma.
Thompson and Douglas are promoted by Vito Mielnicki’s GH3 Promotions and Greg Cohen Promotions.
Thompson scored an eight round unanimous decision over Geovanni Rodriguez in a Jr. Middleweight bout that was televised live on SHOWTIME’s acclaimed series SHO BOX: The New Generation.
Douglas scored a ninety-eight second destruction over Coy Witt in what was a scheduled six round Middleweight bout.
Thompson looked spectacular as he scored four knockdowns and finished the fight in style as he dropped Rodriguez twice in the final frame en route to the victory that read 78-70; 78-70 & 78-71.
Thompson, 24 years-old of Newark, New Jersey is now 12-0 was making his national television debut.
“I know I still have things to work on”, said Thompson
“I used my movement and I know I have to use my head”
On the four knockdowns, Thompson said, “I went for it. I landed a couple of jabs. Against the southpaw, I landed those jabs and stepped over with the right hand”
On wanting a knockout, “It’s a win. A knockout would have been a plus. I thought I had him in the 8th round but for some reason the referee stepped in and I actually thought he was stopping the fight”.
On Winning on National Television, “It means a lot. I hope the right people were watching”.
On trainer Buddy McGirt, “Buddy has been a great asset to me. Expect to see more improvements with each fight”
Douglas of Washington, DC is now 7-0 with five knockouts after his win.
Douglas dropped Witt twice and finished the fight by knockout Witt cold with a booming right hand.
“It was a team effort. He was reaching in and my coach (Kay Karome) told me to step over and land the right hand”, said Douglas.
“Every fight and victory is a step up. I am in great position knock away all obstacles and keep moving. I want to thank my team in my promoters Vito Mielnicki and Greg Cohen, my coach Kay Karome, my manager Billy Mielnicki plus all the family and fans that have supported me.”
Douglas will be back in action on June 15th at South Mountain Arena in West Orange, New Jersey.
Both fighters are managed by William Mielnicki
- Malignaggi/Judah full undercard
- Barker vs Sturm – Weigh-In Video
- Ricky Boylan Interview
- Malingaggi vs. Judah & Trout vs. Lara: Four highly skilled fighters two 50-50 fights
- Liam Cullen Interview
- Enzo Maccarinelli faces Courtney Fry on Saturday
- Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko & Tapia vs. Kirkland: Return of the 122 King and a classic prospect versus vet matchup
- Ivan Pereyra Wins WBF Intercontinental Title In Mexico
- Boyd Melson dominates King in Gotham City!
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious