- Bellew: When I fight Cleverly, I’ll retire him
- Open to the public: Chisora and Fury will meet head-to-head on Monday
- Fight Network to Air Extensive Canelo vs. Lara Fight Week Coverage
- Tonight on HBO2 the Extraordinary Life Story of Joe Louis
- Zou Shiming & Gilberto Ramirez on HBO2, July 19 at 5 PM ET/PT
- Welborn Earns Second Title Shot
Jose “Chelo” Gonzalez in final stages of training for Ricky Burns fight
(Photo credit: PR Best Boxing Promotions) TOA BAJA, PUERTO RICO- A confident Jose “Chelo” Gonzalez, the World Boxing Organization (WBO) lightweight #1 ranked, made today his last training in Puerto Rico before his travel to Glasgow for his world title bout against the champion Ricky Burns on May 11, at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow, Scotland, in a Matchroom Boxing presentation.
Gonzalez (22-0, 17 KOs), who is also the WBO Latino champion worked today for the Puerto Rican media and showed his good condition to challenge Burns (35-2, 10 KOs) in his homeland.
“We are in the final stage of my training and I feel very good thanks to God”, Gonzalez, who is going to travel tomorrow to Scotland, said. “We have worked intensely, as always, for my fights, but with the focus in win the title”.
Today, the Toa Baja native, who received from the Mayor Anibal Vega Borges the flag of his town, worked some rounds of pads with his trainer Roberto Nevarez, some rounds in the punching bag and hitting the speed bag.
“We are comfortable with all the work. It’s just time to work with the weight for the fight and as always we make the weight at the weigh in”, Gonzalez said.
In his most recent fight, Gonzalez won a seventh round TKO over Alejandro “Soma” Rodriguez, who was hurt and didn’t continue the fight starting that round, in a show presented on February 2, in Bayamon, Puerto Rico.
In Burns, a Scottish idol who is going to defend his 135 pounds belt for the third time, Gonzalez will find a former junior lightweight champion who beat Puerto Rican Roman “Rocky” Martinez (actually champion again) in 2010 to gain the crown that defended three times. Burns come off a fourth round TKO win over Kevin Mitchell in September, 2012.
“Burns is a slick fighter, a boxer who throws a lot of punches and very tricky, but I’m very focused on do what I have to do to win this fight and to bring the title to Puerto Rico”, Gonzalez said.
- Cameron Hammond outpoints Argentina’s Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
- Ruslan Chagaev wins “Regular” WBA heavyweight title with majority decision win over Fres Oquendo
- Farenas stops Davis in 8th Dib & Martin win decisions
- Williams, Vincent remain unbeaten through tough battles on undercard of ESPN showcase
- Tori Nelson retains title in Baltimore!
- Younan And Cruz Stay Unbeaten At Foxwoods
- De Alba wins 11th in a row with 5th round stoppage over Batres
- Live Stream: Canelo vs Lara Press Conference At 4 ET/1 PT
- Mayweather/Maidana 2 at the MGM Grand in Vegas on Sept 13
- “I Don’t Owe Alvarez Anything Other Than Left Hands!” Blasts Lara
- Iron Mike Productions: “Judgement Day” – Live Tonight on FoxSports1 (8ET/5PT)
- Let’s give Jesús the Space He’s Earned
- Weights From Miami, Florida: Argenis Mendez, 129.8 vs. Rances Bathelemy 130
- Mikey Garcia: Lara could out-box Canelo