- Team USA’s Queen Underwood and Danyelle Wolf to Compete in Tuesday’s Women’s Continental Championships Action
- Sampson Boxing Signs Prospect Duo from Houston
- WBC: Mayweather-Pacquiao
- FRANK GALARZA REFLECTS ON PAST WEEKEND’S IMPRESSIVE VICTORY
- Date change and undercard announced – Golden Boy Live! at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino
- Abraham: I’m ready to defend my title on Saturday night
Jose Ramírez Headlines Saturday’s Sold Out UniMás Show
FRESNO, CALIF. (November 5, 2013) – Undefeated lightweight contender Jose Ramírez returns home to the Central Valley, headlining a sold-out boxing event — “Fight for Water” — Saturday, November 9. The 11-time National Champion, 2012 U.S. Olympian and all-time USA Boxing lightweight record holder will be battling Erick Hernandez Perez (4-4-1, 2 KOs), of Batesville, AK. Their fight will be featured as the main event on the nationally-televised Solo Boxeo Tecate on UniMás, beginning at Midnight ET/11:00 p.m. PT. Ramírez (6-0, 4 KOs), of Avenal, Calif., returning to the area where he grew up, will fight at the Golden Eagle Arena on the campus of West Hills College, in Lemoore, Calif. The homecoming event has been sold out for three weeks, including VIP tables and major sponsors.
“Jose Ramírez is one of the brightest stars in boxing and he certainly represents a great deal in the future of boxing. It is wonderful to see Fresno area fans rally to see this young athlete. They will have plenty to cheer about not only on November 9 but in the months and years ahead,” said Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank.
“I’m looking forward to it,” said Ramírez, “It’s going to be a big fight, and every aspect of the event is big. I’m very excited to be a part of this and be able give back to my fans, my family and the people who live here as well as the sponsors who have supported my career.” .
A news conference on Thursday, November 7 will be held at Tachi Palace Casino at 3:00 p.m. PT, followed by an invitation-only dinner featuring Hall of Fame announcer Michael Buffer.
The Official Weigh-in will take place Friday, November 8, 3:00 p.m. PT, also at Tachi Palace Casino.
“I want to thank Tachi Palace Casino and its entire staff. Without them we would not have been able to make this fight happen. They really stepped up to support Jose and the Central Valley and believed in us,” said Rick Mirigian, Ramírez’s agent.
The fight card has been called “Fight for Water” because Ramírez wants to help make a difference in farm-related employment and the families who lost their jobs when water supplies were reduced. Ramírez recently joined the Latino Water Coalition, which aims to help resolve the state’s water crisis and to promote economic growth in the area where he grew up.
Mirigian said naming the event was a no-brainer. “Jose and his family struggled first hand when the water didn’t flow, and times got even harder for his family, who relied on the field work and farming industry. It is important that the public knows that no matter how big a fight he has or will ever have, that the biggest fight to be won is the ‘Fight for Water.’ ”
In addition to hosting the press conference and the weigh in, Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino will also host a special champions dinner, pre and post fight activities that include meet and greets with Ramírez, promotions and more. They will have a roundtrip shuttle running every 20 minutes to the fight which is only five minutes away from the property.
To learn more about Jose Ramírez, please visit his instagram page @jcramirez2012 or like him on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Joseramirezboxing or follow him on Twitter at https://twitter.com/RAMIREZBOXING.
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Canelo Alvarez Signs Major Agreement with HBO Sports
- Canelo back at HBO; next fight likely Joshua Clottey on December 6th
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint