- Date change and undercard announced – Golden Boy Live! at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino
- Abraham: I’m ready to defend my title on Saturday night
- Crawford vs Beltran News Conf in Omaha
- Mathews And Dingsdale Collide On Echo Arena Card
- Coyle: Katsidis is only in exciting fights
- Arthur Abraham, Paul Smith Officials Announced
Larry Holmes & Julio César Chávez to attend Nev Boxing HOF Induction
LAS VEGAS (July 19, 2013) — LARRY HOLMES and JULIO CÉSAR CHÁVEZ SR., two of boxing’s greatest champions, confirmed they will be present in Las Vegas for their induction on Saturday, August 10, at the Monte Carlo Las Vegas Resort & Casino into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame.
Holmes, of Easton, Pa., won the title on June 9, 1978 by defeating Ken Norton at Caesars Palace in one of the great heavyweight matches in history. The fight was dead even after 14 rounds and Holmes won the match, and the title, in a magnificent 15th round.
Holmes held the championship for seven years, three months and two days, making 20 consecutive defenses. Holmes, who like Chávez was chosen in the non-Nevada resident boxer category, began his career 48-0 before losing a highly controversial decision to Michael Spinks.
Holmes fought until 2002, racking up a 69-6 record with 44 knockouts. He scored many notable wins in Nevada in addition to beating Norton. He also bested Muhammad Ali, Earnie Shavers and Gerry Cooney.
“I’m honored to be inducted into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame, and I want to express my appreciation to all those who voted for me,” Holmes said. “Vegas has always been my home away from home. There’s nothing like Las Vegas.”
Chávez, who retired in 2005 with an incredible 107-6-2 mark with 85 knockouts, fought in Nevada so often he could have applied for resident status. He fought in the state 25 times, including 19 times in world championship matches.
He met most of the top opponents of his era in Nevada, including two major bouts with fellow NVBHOF inductee Oscar De La Hoya. Among the major wins he had in Nevada were knockouts of Roger Mayweather, Edwin Rosario and Meldrick Taylor.
“I’m privileged to be inducted into the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame,” Chávez said. “I would like to thank the Nevada Athletic Commission, the city of Las Vegas, and all the sportswriters for this honor. I am humbled by it. I would also like to say thank you to the guys that I faced over my career. I appreciate all of you, I enjoyed the competition and it was an honor to face you. Also, I would like to thank my family, which has played a big role in my life, and all those people that have played a role in my career and those who have made a positive impact in my life.
“Last but not least are the fans. I feel truly blessed by the fans and all the support they have given me throughout my boxing career as well as all that support my family over the years, I will never forget all those memories.”
Both men have previously been inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
Remaining tickets for the historic first Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame banquet are for sale online at www.nvbhof.com
The Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame is a non-profit, 501-c-3 charitable organization. Ticket sales to its events, purchases from, and donations to the NVBHOF are tax-deductible. Donations can be made by visiting the NVBHOF website.
Please like NVBHOF on Facebook (facebook.com/nvbhof) and follow it on twitter (@nvbhof)
For information or ticket purchases, go to www.nvbhof.com or call 775-384-1903.
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint
- Khan could be next for Mayweather, says Floyd Sr
- Groves asks Froch for fight, and gets turned down