- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
- Thompson Boxing Promotions Presents “Loaded” card featuring Efrain Esquivias, Giovani Santillan, & Jose Roman
- “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” Debuts Saturday, April 19 on HBO
- WSB: Daniel Asenov is the hero of the day
Maidana-Lopez, Angulo-Lara & Bika-Periban on June 8th in Carson, California
Golden Boy Promotions is putting on an excellent fight card on June 8th headlined by WBA Inter-Continental welterweight champion Marcos Maidana (33-3, 30 KO’s) defending his title against Josesito Lopez (30-5, 18 KO’s) in this Showtime televised card at the Home Depot Center, in Carson, California, USA.
In addition to this fight, the undercard has #1 WBC, #3 WBO, #5 IBF junior middleweight contender Erislandy Lara (17-1-2, 11 KO’s) facing #9 WBC Alfredo Angulo (22-2, 18 KO’s) in a 12 round bout, and #1 WBC super middleweight contender Sakio Bika (31-5-2, 21 KO’s) battling unbeaten #14 WBC Marco Antonio Periban (20-0, 13 KO’s) in a 12 round bout.
The Angulo-Lara fight is something of an oddity from Angulo’s standpoint because it seems like such a bad match-up for the 30-year-old Angulo, who has already been exposed by Kermit Cintron and James Kirkland. Angulo has problems against faster guys and Lara is a step up from Kirkland and Cintron in the speed and boxing department.
You just wonder why Angulo accepted the fight. The money must have been good or else he saw something in the 29-year-old Lara’s fighting style that he felt he could exploit with his superior power. Most likely Angulo is going to have to spend the better part of the fight chasing Lara around the ring looking to land his shots. Angulo is decent at cutting off the ring on his opponents, but he’s going to have to be really good if he wants to be able to land his big power shots on the constantly moving Lara.
Maidana-Lopez has the potential to be a really good fight if Lopez tries to go toe-to-toe with Maidana like he did against WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Victor Ortiz. If Lopez decides to match Maidana punch for punch this could be an exciting fight that likely will end fairly early.
Maidana has the power to run Lopez over in the same manner that Canelo did. Lopez could be a problem for Maidana if his chin holds out. Lopez never had a chance in his last fight against the bigger and stronger Canelo last September in losing by a 5th round TKO. Maidana needs a win in this fight to stay in the running for a title shot against the winner of the June 22nd fight between WBA welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi and Adrien Broner.
Bika, 33, is the WBC 168 lb. mandatory challenger for WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward after having beaten Nikola Sjekloca last February in a 12 round unanimous decision. Bika will be facing the unbeaten but untested Marco Antonio Periban in a 12 round fight. Periban, 28, has good power, but nearly as much as his record would leave you to believe. He’s faces a lot of incredibly weak opposition in Mexico and his record is inflated with fluff. A true indication of Periban’s talent level is how badly he struggled to defeat Francisco Sierra by a 10 round majority decision last November.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity
- ShoBox: The New Generation Final Weights & Quotes For Friday’s Iron Mike Productions Tripleheader
- Final press conference quotes for “History at the capitol: Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov”
- The British Invader: Steed “The Stallion” Woodall
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather’s Power
- Maidana doesn’t have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money