Manuel Avila vs Jose Silveira on Oct 28
REDWOOD CITY, CALIF. (October 1) – The hit FOX Sports 1 and FOX Deportes series Golden Boy Live! will make its California debut on Monday, October 28 at 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT with an action-packed card live from the Sports House in Redwood City headlined by an exciting matchup between undefeated Fairfield, Calif. prospect Manuel “Tino” Avila and Mexico’s Jose “Cacho” Silveira of Merida, Yucatan, Mexico in a 10-round super bantamweight fight. Plus, local fan favorite from Salinas, Calif. Paul “El Gallo Negro” Mendez, will face off against an opponent to be named in the co-featured ten-round bout.
Avila vs. Silveira, a 10-round super bantamweight bout, is presented by Golden Boy Promotions, Don Chargin Productions and Paco Presents and sponsored by Corona and O’Reilly Auto Parts. The Sports House doors open at 5:00 p.m. PT and the first fight starts at 5:30 p.m. PT. The FOX Sports 1 and FOX Deportes broadcast airs live at 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT.
Tickets priced at $35, $55 and $100 go on sale at 6:00 p.m. PT on Thursday, October 3 and will be available for purchase by calling the Sports House at (650) 362-4100, by calling Undisputed Boxing Gym at (650) 631-3781 or online at www.pacopresentsboxing.com.
A top California amateur for years, Fairfield’s Manuel “Tino” Avila (12-0, 4 KO’s) made his professional debut in Nov. of 2010 and has become more and more impressive with every victory. After a 2012 campaign in which he won five consecutive bouts, the popular 21-year-old prospect kept his unbeaten record intact in his return to the ring in June of 2013, shutting out Jamal Parram in a unanimous decision win.
Thirty-four-year-old veteran Jose “Cacho” Silveira (15-9, 6 KO’s) is a former NABA bantamweight champion who has been a tough test for top-level talent for years. Silveira has shown the tenacity it takes to defeat foes such as former World Champion Eric Morel, Christopher Martin and Jessie Magdaleno. The Yucatan native is coming off of an eight-round win over Carlos Koh on Sept. 13 and he’s looking forward to getting right back in the ring against Avila on Oct. 28.
Salinas’ Paul “El Gallo Negro” Mendez (14-2-1, 6 KO’s) is a four-year professional with growing popularity among California boxing fans, which isn’t surprising given his talent and stirring style. Unbeaten in eight straight bouts since 2011, the 24-year-old middleweight has scored consecutive wins over Alfredo Contreras, Dashon Johnson and Rahman Yusubov this year. He wants to make it four for four when he faces an opponent to be named in a ten-round fight.
A full undercard will be announced shortly.
- Three R&R Promotions fighters collect WBC USA titles over the weekend
- Josesito Lopez quotes
- Manny Pacquiao Is Back On April 12, At The MGM Grand, Las Vegas
- Bob Arum: “We’re Willing To Make Anything Happen”
- De La Hoya, Trinidad and Calzaghe all headed into The Hall of Fame – all three greats fully deserving of the honour
- Boxing Hall Of Fame: Class of 2014 Announced in Canastota!
- Granados Hoping to Fight Smarter on December 6. But Things Do Happen
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights
- Stevenson obliterates Bellew; Kovalev crushes Sillakh