- Abel Sanchez, Graham Shaw, Fred Jenkins & Adam Booth
- Douglas vs. Soro ShoBox 200 Final Weights, Quotes
- Team England Headlines
- Derek “Pooh” Ennis looking to get back into title contention with win over Truax this Friday night in Chicago
- TAMPA BAY TIMES FORUM PRESENTS DUEL MAIN EVENT WITH TWO WORLD BOXING FEDERATION TITLES ON THE LINE
- Fight Network Presents Fury vs. Ustinov LIVE this Saturday at 2 p.m. ET
Maidana stops Lopez; Lara defeats Angulo
Welterweight Marcos Maidana (34-3, 31 KO’s) was simply too strong for Josesito Lopez (30-6, 18 KO’s) tonight in stopping him in the 6th round in a back and forth fight at the Home Depot Center, in Carson, California, USA. Maidana unloaded on a hurt Lopez in the 6th with a blizzard of punches until referee Lou Moret called a halt to the fight at 1:18 of the round.
Maidana was hurt in the 4th round, but came back to knock Lopez down in the 6th round with a scorching right hand to the head. Lopez climbed off the canvas and continued to fight, but he was way too hurt to fend off Maidana’s powerful shots being thrown with both hands. Lopez backed up to the ropes and took some really mean looking shots. At that point the referee stopped the fight because Lopez wasn’t throwing anything back at Maidana.
The first three rounds were clear rounds for Maidana, as he landed the harder shots in each of them. The first round was kind of close, but the better punches were landed by Maidana by far. He hit Lopez with some big, big shots when he was backed up near the ropes. That for me was more than enough to give Maidana the round.
Erislandy Lara (18-1-2, 12 KO’s) really got lucky tonight in stopping Alfredo Angulo (22-3, 18 KO’s) in the 10 round in fight that Angulo was in control of and on his way to a victory. Lara either thumbed Angulo in the eye or injured his eye in some other way causing him to turn his back on Lara. The fight was then halted. Right now, it’s still unclear whether Lara thumbed Angulo or if his was simply too hurt from the swelling around it. His eye had been swelling for rounds from the punishment he had taken.
Angulo knocked Lara down in the 4th and 9th rounds and he seemed like the stronger fighter going into the 10th. However, the eye injury changed everything and caused the fight to be stopped.
Other boxing results on the undercard:
Jermell Charlo UD 12 Demetrius Hopkins
Johan Perez UD10 Yoshihiro Kamegai
Gerald Washington UD8 Sherman Williams
Ronny Rios TKO 6 Leonilo Miranda
Manuel Avila UD 8 Jamal Parram
Jamie Kavanagh TKO 4 Adolfo Landeros
Joseph Diaz TKO 3 Rigoberto Casillas
Edgar Valerio SD 4 David Reyes
- Hyland back with a bang in New York
- Darryll Williams Beats Danny Brown To Maintain Unbeaten Record
- Avtandil Khurtsidze: Successful Comeback In NYC
- Patrick Hyland stops Echeverria in New York City
- Emanuel Taylor Defeats Karim Mayfield
- Guillermo Rigondeaux destroys Sod Kokietgym inside a round (with a little controversy thrown in!)
- Mararil Retains Title In Ugly Fight
- How much will Saturday night tell us about the future of Tyson Fury?
- Better Know a Boxer: Sergey Kovalev
- Golovkin vs Geale Saturday on HBO
- Fury vs Ustinov this Saturday
- Tyson Fury to face Alexander Ustinov on Saturday
- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes
- Danny Garcia needs to make a statement against Rod Salka