Martin Murray doubts Sergio Martinez will fight him again
MARTIN MURRAY doesn’t feel he’ll get another shot at Sergio Martinez despite giving the Argentinian southpaw the fight of his life on Saturday night.
The St Helens man dropped the world’s number one middleweight and seemed to dominate the second half of the contest in front of 40,000 vociferous fans in Buenos Aires, but failed to get the decision.
Murray would like an immediate rematch, but accepts that is unlikely despite Martinez himself managing to secure a return with Paul Williams after losing a similarly contentious verdict back in late 2009.
“I’d love the chance to fight Martinez again, but there’s no way I’ll get the opportunity,” Murray, 30, said.
“Martinez is amongst the top five pound-for-pound fighters in the world and I had him down twice, bossed him and lost a very close debatable decision in his own backyard so I think I’ve proven I belong at world level.
“I’m obviously gutted that I’m not taking that belt home with me but I’m happy and proud that I can leave Argentina with my head held high knowing that I represented St. Helens and Great Britain.
“If it was fair scoring then I would have got the decision but it was always going to be an uphill battle in Argentina and I knew that when I accepted the fight.”
He added: “I just want to say a massive thank you to my family, friends and team. I’m so lucky to have these people around me, especially Oliver Harrison who’s just an amazing trainer, and I know that one day I’ll get them that world title that they all deserve.
“Also, a big thank you to Sergio Martinez, his team and the people of Argentina. From day one we were all treated so well and really looked after.”
- Cameron Hammond outpoints Argentina’s Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
- Ruslan Chagaev wins “Regular” WBA heavyweight title with majority decision win over Fres Oquendo
- Farenas stops Davis in 8th Dib & Martin win decisions
- Williams, Vincent remain unbeaten through tough battles on undercard of ESPN showcase
- Tori Nelson retains title in Baltimore!
- Younan And Cruz Stay Unbeaten At Foxwoods
- De Alba wins 11th in a row with 5th round stoppage over Batres
- “I DON’T OWE ALVAREZ ANYTHING OTHER THAN LEFT HANDS!” BLASTS LARA
- Iron Mike Productions: “Judgement Day” – Live Tonight on FoxSports1 (8ET/5PT)
- Let’s give Jesús the Space He’s Earned
- Weights From Miami, Florida: Argenis Mendez, 129.8 vs. Rances Bathelemy 130
- Mikey Garcia: Lara could out-box Canelo
- Lara: After Canelo, I want Mayweather
- Brook: I’ll prove I am the real deal against Porter