- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn "Showtime" Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- AWE to Air WBA World Championship LIVE this Saturday
- THE HALF-SOLVED “MAYWEATHER VS. PACQUIAO”
- “Payasito”-Tostado in the works for May in Mexico
- A Trio of U.S. Boxers Earn Preliminary Round Victories at the 2014 Youth World Championships
- Chinese Taipei impress in Sofia
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
Mayweather – Canelo press tour draws 30,000 fans in Mexico City
(Photo credit: Alma Montiel) MEXICO CITY (July 1, 2013) – “THE ONE: Mayweather vs. Canelo” press tour continued on a beautiful summer Sunday in Mexico’s capital city where local police estimated that 32,000 excitable fans turned out at Monumento de los Niños Heroes to greet pound-for-pound boxing king Floyd Mayweather and national hero Canelo Alvarez.
Mexican television network Televisa covered the proceedings, which, like the previous six stops on this unprecedented press tour, was part press conference and part fan rally.
A complete replay of Televisa’s presentation is available for viewing at http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/35179179
Quotes from Mayweather and Canelo on Sunday in Mexico City:
Floyd “Money” Mayweather, Eight-Time and Five Division World Champion
“It’s great to be in Mexico. The turnout here and all throughout this tour has been amazing. Canelo has a lot of fans here in Mexico. We expected that, but I don’t fight for one country. I fight for the whole world.
“I have faced a lot of great champions in my career and I can honestly say that my toughest opponents have been Mexican.
“One thing I know is that Mexicans know boxing.
“I got into this sport to be the best and I’m pretty sure Canelo got into the sport to be the best, but the difference is that I was born to win and I will die to win.
I don’t know how this fight is going to play out. That’s what makes this match-up so interesting. We’ll all find out on September 14.
“I’m the pound-for-pound best. I’m ‘The One,’ and on September 14, you’ll see.
“I commend Canelo. He’s a young, strong champion. I congratulate his team, but when you face Floyd Mayweather you face the best.
“Right now I just can’t be beat. Maybe in 20 years he’ll be the king, but not right now. September 14 is just another day for me.”
Canelo Alvarez, Super Welterweight World Champion
“I want to thank everyone for coming out here…all of you. I’ve always said that we had to come to Mexico (on this tour). There’s no other place like Mexico. I’m so happy.
“There are a lot of people who don’t think I’m going to win, but on September 14, you’ll see that I will win.
“I’ve always wanted to be the best in the sport and I’m on my way. I couldn’t let this opportunity go by and I will take advantage of it on September 14.
“I’m always training. I never stop. To win we have to prepare well and not ignore the little things.
“I feel the size of this event. I feel the emotion, but I am calm and on September 14, I’ll be okay.
“I began fighting when I was 15 years old and at that time I wasn’t ready to fight him. Now I’m ready. I always go in with a winning mentality. I’ll prepare to win.”
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity