- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Deontay Wilder not worried about Stiverne’s power
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Undefeated Mexican Future Stars In WBF Title Fights
- STALKER TO FACE JENKINS IN BRITISH TITLE ELIMINATOR ON MAGNIFICENT SEVEN CARD
- Heavyweight hopeful Otto Wallin returns on August 30
- Philippine Supreme Court issues temporary restraining order in Manny Pacquiao tax case
- Full Card Announced For Golden Boy Live! Card In Fairfield, Calif
- Rising Minnesota Prospects Look To Impress Friday Night At Grand Casino Hinckley
Mayweather claims his fight with Guerrero is just a rumor
By Rob Smith: Floyd Mayweather Jr. isn’t ready to admit that he’s fighting Robert Guerrero on May 4th despite almost entire boxing world already suspecting that he will be. On his twitter today, Mayweather said “As of right now I don’t know who I’m fighting on May 4th. Me fighting Robert Guerrero is just a rumor.”
This is either Mayweather’s attempt to get a better deal through negotiations with Guerrero or he really doesn’t plan on fighting him. Given the choices between Guerrero, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Tim Bradley, it seems like the most logical move for Mayweather to make it to face Guerrero. He’s the easier fight compared to Canelo, and he’s the bigger fight and the more appropriate fight than a fight against Bradley.
May 4th falls on the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo and it only makes sense that Mayweather fight a Mexican on that date in order to take advantage of the Mexican fans that will be sitting at home and celebrating the holiday. I don’t think for a second that Mayweather will fight Bradley, and if he does then Golden Boy Promotions needs to sit down and talk some sense into him because that’s not the fight for the right date.
Mayweather also plans on fighting on September 14th, which is the Mexican Independence Day. That fight date too also appears to be a calculated move on Mayweather’s part to take advantage of a Mexican holiday and he’ll no doubt be fighting a Mexican on that date, and could possibly be Canelo if Mayweather doesn’t fight him this time.
If Mayweather doesn’t fight Guerrero or Alvarez on May 4th then it’s unknown who’ll be facing. Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, is looking to finalize Mayweather’s opponent this week and it’s hoped that he’ll announce who the fighter will be.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Frampton will beat Kiko Martinez, says Santa Cruz
- Wladimir working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Santa Cruz feels pressure of fighting in co-feature on Mayweather-Maidana 2 card
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Brook pushing hard for Khan fight