- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn "Showtime" Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- AWE to Air WBA World Championship LIVE this Saturday
- THE HALF-SOLVED “MAYWEATHER VS. PACQUIAO”
- “Payasito”-Tostado in the works for May in Mexico
- A Trio of U.S. Boxers Earn Preliminary Round Victories at the 2014 Youth World Championships
- Chinese Taipei impress in Sofia
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
Mayweather vs. Guerrero and Canelo vs. Trout could be announced next week
By Bill Phanco: WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s) is reporting on his twitter that he’ll be facing WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-0, 14 KO’s) on the Floyd Mayweather Jr. undercard on May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Also, Golden Boy Promotions matchmaker Robert Diaz is reporting that Golden Boy will be announcing Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero and Trout vs. Canelo fight card for May 4th within days.
Here’s what Canelo said on his twitter today: “Canelo vs. Trout, May 4, MGM.”
Trout then responded on his own twitter to that message, saying “You heard it folks. Time to unifiy. Are you ready?”
Canelo had the option to face someone else because Golden Boy had other opponents they wanted him to consider facing. Instead, Canelo chose Trout as the one he wanted for May 4th. It’s possible that Canelo didn’t want to hear the flak that he would have received from boxing fans had he chosen someone other than Trout.
It’s the fight that boxing fans want to see due to Trout beating Miguel Cotto last December. Canelo was supposed to Cotto if he won that fight, but after he lost, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer started saying that Trout’s didn’t mean he was going to get to face Canelo.
It looked and sounded bad, like Schaefer was giving Canelo a way out of a tough fight, but to his credit he stood up and apparently has agreed to take the fight with Trout. At the very least, Canelo will win a lot of respect from boxing fans in the United States and Mexico, even if he loses to Trout, which is a very real possibility.
The Mayweather-Guerrero news isn’t that big of a deal because it was clear from the very start that Guerrero was going to be the one to get that fight. It’s not a great fight, but it’s about all there is for Mayweather at 147 for the time being unless he wants to do business with Top Rank and fight Manny Pacquiao or Tim Bradley.
There’s no word about whether the winner of the Mayweather-Guerrero and Canelo-Trout fight will be meeting up in September, but that’s certainly a possibility.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity