- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn't Learn Anything New
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo's Next Rival?
- Froch-Groves meet at Wembley press conference ahead of rematch - 60,000 tickets gone in an hour!
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Canelo vs Angulo, Santa Cruz, Rigondeaux, and Tony Weeks!
- Cotto vs. Martinez Puerto Rico Press Conference
- ESPN Thursday Night Fights at ‘The World’s Most Beautiful Race Course’
- Bryant and Santiago set to tangle Friday night at the Hamilton Manor!!
- CANADIAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP GEORGE CHUVALO SET FOR 2014 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND
- Friday is time to shine for M-1 Global light heavyweight champion Viktor Nemkov
- WARREN WINS SAUNDERS-BLANDAMURA PURSE BIDS
- Bruno Escalante to defend IBA Super Flyweight Title against Victor Ruiz April 5
Mbamba, Tshabalala To Fight For WBF World Titles On Home Soil
Long-time contender Evans Mbamba and South African Female national champion Gabisile Tshabalala will fight for World Boxing Federation World titles on a show promoted by World Sport Promotions at the Graceland Casino in Secunda, South Africa on Saturday June 29.
Former two-time world title-challenger Mbamba (18-3, 9 KOs) will take on Mexico’s Mario Briones for the vacant WBF World Super Bantamweight championship, while Tshabalala (8-0-1) will be in with Shannon O’Connell from Australia in a fight for the vacant WBF Womens World Featherweight crown.
Having only lost on points in title fights, Mario Briones (24-3-1, 18 KOs) presents a big challenge for Mbamba, but the 31 year-olds trainer, the highly regarded Nick Durandt, is sure his charge will be successful:
“This time Evans has just got so much going for him. He has lost two world title shots outside the country but this time he’ll be on home soil. He’ll have the crowd rooting for him, and he’ll be in front of his fans”, Durandt recently told South African media.
“He’s been unlucky in his previous title attempts when rather hostile conditions prevailed, but this time we don’t want to get lucky. We want the title on merit!”
While the undefeated 23-year-old Gabisile Tshabalala already has three national title fights under her belt, she will surely be facing a different level of opposition than she has been used to, when she clash with Shannon O’Connell (7-2, 4 KOs).
Nicknamed “Shotgun”, O’Connell (30) is the reigning Queensland state champion, and is no stranger to travelling abroad for big fights. In her last outing she lost a close decision to Hyun-Mi Choi in South Korea for the WBA World title.
Speaking with South African media, Tshabalala-trainer and manager Elias Mpembe is well aware of what lies ahead, but is full of confidence in his fighter, saying:
“Gabisile has got all the tools for the job, from the jab to the uppercut and speed. I’ve looked at tapes of the Aussie girl in training and sparring, so that’s enough information on the opponent.”
“Gabisile is in the best shape of her life and has been sparring with boys because I don’t have other girls in my gym. The boys have been going at her hard and strong, so that’s great for her preparation.”
“All Gabisile wants now is for South Africa’s boxing fans to come to Graceland to see her win a world title. She wants people to see why she’s regarded as the best ‘pound-for-pound’ female fighter in South Africa.”
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- The Pugilist KOrner: Ann Wolfe, Kermit Cintron, Sugar Hill, Karim Mayfield, Gary Russell Jr, and more
- Bernard Hopkins & Beibut Shumenov Washington D.C. Presser Quotes
- DANNY “SWIFT” GARCIA MAKES HIS GRAND ARRIVAL IN PUERTO RICO
- Andre Berto Cleared by Physician for Light Sparring, to Begin Full Contact in Mid-April
- Scouting Report for Saturday’s Adamek-Glazkov Fight on NBCSN Fight Night
- Huck fractures thumb, March 29th show cancelled
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior