- Tony Weeks Was Story - Angulo Should Be
- Erislandy The American Dream Lara elevated to WBA World Champion
- Danny Garcia eyes future Mayweather showdown if he beats Herrera this Saturday
- Garcia out to keep winning streak as Herrera declares ‘he’s fought better guys for peanuts’ ahead of weekend clash live on Boxnation
- Chris Arreola vs. Bermane Stiverne II to be televised by ESPN on May 10th
- Garcia, Herrera, Deontay Wilder and Scott quotes
- NOBUTATSU SUZUKI CROWNED INAUGURAL ONE FC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION
- Worlds Collide in the WSB quarter-finals
- Complete Show Boxeo TELEMUNDO March 14, 2014 at Kissimmee Civic Center Kissimmee, Florida
- IN DEPTH WITH TOMMY LANGFORD
- Khattab vs. Jenkinson confirmed for the Nordic Fight Night in Esbjerg
- Modernisation of England Boxing continues with the appointment of a new Chairman
Mexico excel in big win versus Argentina (5-0)
Lausanne, Switzerland, 02 February 2013 – Mexico Guerreros defeated their continental rivals Argentina Condors at fortress Foro Polanco in their Group A clash to take one giant step towards qualification for the World Series of Boxing (WSB) quarter-finals with three matches of the regular season left. The home boxers produced a string of scintillating displays with Elias Emigdio, Fernando Alvarez Diaz, Marvin Cabrera and Isaac Munoz Gutierrez setting the standard to deliver maximum points for the Guerreros.
The speed, agility and clever combination punches of Mexico’s Emigdio were too much for the Argentine orthodox Ignacio Perrin to handle throughout the five rounds of the night’s first contest at Bantamweight (50-54kg). The 21-year-old Mexican made it four wins from four this season with another performance full of verve, making that extra height count as he glided across the canvas before picking his shots to perfection. Showing great stamina and throwing some crisp hooks, Emigdio was outstanding as he moved provisionally top of the individual rankings with victory against a very durable opponent.
It was fast and furious right from the off in the Lightweight (57-61kg) showdown between Mexico teenager Alvarez Diaz and the Condors’ 21-year-old WSB debutant Ruben Matias Lazarte. Alvarez Diaz landed some hard shots in round two with a huge uppercut and a thunderous straight right ensuring his stamped his authority on proceedings. The Mexican once again demonstrated his maturity with an intelligent display as he boxed well on the attack and on the counter before turning on the style in the closing stages to win all five rounds and put the Guerreros 2-0 in the tie.
19-year-old hard-hitting Cabrera began well in the Middleweight (68-73kg) contest, sending his rival, Argentina’s Juan Gustavo Solalinde, to the canvas with an uppercut in the first to get the crowd up on their feet. Cabrera was brimming with confidence from then on, throwing his full repertoire of shots in a real show of dominance. A huge right hook in the fourth further underlined Cabrera’s supremacy as Solalinde took another standing eight count. The Mexican southpaw became the second Guerreros boxer to move provisional top of his individual ranking with victory at Foro Polanco.
At Light Heavyweight (80-85kg), up-and-coming Guerreros Munoz Gutierrez showcased his burgeoning talent with a powerful performance versus the Condors’ Argentine Isaias Ezequiel Torglele. The 20-year-old Mexican star had the measure of his rival, peppering him with some sublime shots throughout the fight as he claimed each of the five rounds on all judges’ scorecards. It was a powerful display by Munoz Gutierrez as he completely outboxed the hard-hitting Torglele.
The night’s Heavyweight (91+kg) contest between the Guerreros’ larger than life Puerto Rican Gerardo Miguel Bisbal Melero and Argentina’s 24-year-old orthodox Oscar Ricardo Perez was an interesting affair. Bisbal towered over the Argentine and that stiff jab and good variation of combinations saw him take the first two rounds although Perez was standing strong. The work rate of the Argentine could not be faulted but he struggled against the power of the home boxer and in the end Bisbal won comfortably to make it an impressive score line for the Guerreros.
Mexico now travel to Algeria to face the Desert Hawks at the Salle Hocine-Chaalane on Friday 8 February whilst Argentina are in Poland to battle the Hussars at the Hala Znicz that same night.
- Canelo Alvarez Impresses In Controversial TKO Victory Over Alfredo Angulo, Saturday on SHOWTIME PPV
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- Weights: Brook-Robles, Bellew-Brudov, & Mitchell-Avakyan
- Price-Pala rescheduled for April 12th in Denmark, Lee also in action
- Juan Manuel Marquez faces Mike Alvarado on May 17th at Inglewood forum
- Adamek – Glazkov / Chilemba – Grachev Final Presser
- Garcia, Herrera, Deontay Wilder and Scott quotes
- Garcia vs. Herrera: Can Mauricio spoil the Garcia Klan’s homecoming?
- Tony Weeks Was Story – Angulo Should Be