- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Canelo vs Angulo, Santa Cruz, Rigondeaux, and Tony Weeks!
- Froch-Groves meet at Wembley press conference ahead of rematch - 60,000 tickets gone in an hour!
- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn't Learn Anything New
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo's Next Rival?
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- Hunter: Angulo was coming on strong against Canelo at time of stoppage
- ESPN Thursday Night Fights at ‘The World’s Most Beautiful Race Course’
- Bryant and Santiago set to tangle Friday night at the Hamilton Manor!!
- CANADIAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP GEORGE CHUVALO SET FOR 2014 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND
- Friday is time to shine for M-1 Global light heavyweight champion Viktor Nemkov
- WARREN WINS SAUNDERS-BLANDAMURA PURSE BIDS
- Bruno Escalante to defend IBA Super Flyweight Title against Victor Ruiz April 5
Middelton dynamo gets Bolton bite of cherry
Liam ‘Dynamo’ Taylor is relieved to be getting a second bite of the cherry, when he appears on VIP Promotions’ ‘Road to Glory’ show at Bolton’s Reebok Stadium on March 9.
The Middleton fighter was slated to box last Friday at the Wythenshawe Forum but, after putting in a full training camp, was left high and dry at the last minute … over a lb.
“It was a disgrace,” explained Taylor, who is unbeaten in five. “Two opponents pulled out late, so Ideh Ockuko agreed to box at two days’ notice at 10st 2lbs. I’d been training for a 10st 4lbs bout so said I’d get as close as I could, but when I weighed in at 10st 3lbs he pulled out.
“My promoter, Steve Wood, even offered him more money but he just left. I thought Steve was joking when he told me; I was speechless. I’d put a coach on, sold tickets, had a week off work and I was £600 down, so I wasn’t best pleased!
“I’m made up to get on this Bolton bill though. It’s a week on but I’m still fit and ready to go, and it’s just 20 minutes from where I live. It’s a big bill, Jack Arnfield’s topping it, and it’s a good venue and always a great atmosphere at The Reebok. It’s going to be a really good night of boxing.”
Liam, a former junior and senior ABA finalist who won 40 of 50 amateur bouts, is an electrician by day and pro fighter by night. Aggressive, with fast hands, the Lancashire man turned over in 2011 and has built up a good following with some impressive performances.
Yet to lose a round as a pro, Taylor is aiming to keep busy this year. Knowing he is in a hot division, the ambitious light-welterweight will be monitoring the upcoming English title fight involving his VIP stable-mate Shayne Singleton closely; confident it won’t be long before he is in a similar position.
“Like every boxer I want to be a world champion. I boxed at top level as an amateur and I definitely know I’m good enough to win British and European titles.
“Obviously I’ll be keeping a close eye on the big fight this weekend between Shayne and Curtis Woodhouse; it’s a 50-50 fight but I’m edging towards Singleton. I know I’m probably 12-18 months away from those bigger titles but that’s the level I want to be competing at in the future.”
“I was choked for Liam and his fans that the bout in Wythenshawe got pulled,” stated promoter Wood. “It’s good to have him on this Bolton show though. It’s a very good bill already with some great bouts on, but Liam is another quality addition.”
VIP Promotions’ ‘Road to Glory’, at Bolton’s Reebok Stadium on March 9, will be headlined by Jack Arnfield versus Gary Boulden for the British Masters light-middleweight title.
The stacked, quality undercard will feature fighters from every corner of the North West, including Middleton’s Warren Tansey and Liam Taylor; Preston’s Dean Halsall and Jack Catterall; Blackburn’s Kurt Grieve and Shaheed Ali; Denton’s Lyndon ‘Lights Out’ Newman and Callum Cooke; Bolton’s Daniel ‘The Phantom’ Watson and Paul Drago; Merseyside’s Wayne Adeniyi; Cumbria’s Rick Skelton; Darwen’s Stevie Taylor, and Lancaster’s Tomi Tatham.
Tickets, priced at £30 (General) and £50 (Ringside) are available on the door, from all boxers or at www.vipbe.co.uk
Keep updated on VIP Promotions’ news by visiting www.vipboxing.com or follow on Twitter @vipboxing. Currently, you can also watch free fights at www.vipboxing.tv and on the VIP YouTube channel.
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- Bernard Hopkins & Beibut Shumenov Washington D.C. Presser Quotes
- DANNY “SWIFT” GARCIA MAKES HIS GRAND ARRIVAL IN PUERTO RICO
- Andre Berto Cleared by Physician for Light Sparring, to Begin Full Contact in Mid-April
- Scouting Report for Saturday’s Adamek-Glazkov Fight on NBCSN Fight Night
- Huck fractures thumb, March 29th show cancelled
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- WBO no.4 rated Maxwell Awuku seeks Mikey Garcia fight