- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn "Showtime" Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- AWE to Air WBA World Championship LIVE this Saturday
- THE HALF-SOLVED “MAYWEATHER VS. PACQUIAO”
- “Payasito”-Tostado in the works for May in Mexico
- A Trio of U.S. Boxers Earn Preliminary Round Victories at the 2014 Youth World Championships
- Chinese Taipei impress in Sofia
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
Miguel Vazquez sick, fight with Ricky Burns to be postponed until April 20th
Promoter Frank Warren’s show at Wembley Arena on Saturday 16th March has been postponed and will now take place on Saturday 20th April.
World Boxing Organization (WBO) World Lightweight Champion Ricky Burns’ opponent, Miguel Vazquez – the IBF World Champion – has been suffering from a severe viral infection caused by food poisoning. (Please click here for the medical report from Vazquez’s doctor Roman Cruz Olais ) Vazquez has been advised to rest and rehydrate, before starting to train again which has meant that the fight has had to be delayed.
There was an opportunity to bring in a replacement challenger for Burns but it was agreed that at this stage of his career, it was essential that the unification contest went ahead, even if it meant a slight delay.
For Burns, he felt that it was important that he still fight Vazquez for the IBF World title and unify the belts and then head into a possible fight against WBC title-holder Adrien Broner next, bringing two world title belts into the fight.
Burns v Vazquez will still joint headline the show with WBO World Light-Heavyweight Champion Nathan Cleverly defending his title against Robin Krasniqi. Cleverly will also welcome the postponement as he has been suffering from a stomach virus that left him unable to train for five days last week and then when he resumed training he relapsed again. This will ensure that he is back to full fitness for the new date.
Promoter Frank Warren said, “It’s very unfortunate that Vazquez has had to withdraw so close to the fight, but it is on medical grounds, which is beyond my control, due to his viral infection, and we have his doctor’s certificate confirming this. Therefore I have had to postpone the fight, not canceled as stated in some media reports, to Saturday 20th April at Wembley Arena. Everybody is disappointed by this postponement, but we have worked hard to ensure that Ricky’s unification fight still goes ahead.”
The Wembley Arena undercard will remain the same featuring Dereck Chisora*, Frank Buglioni, John Thain, Steve O’Meara, Gary Corcoran, Mitchell Smith, Joey Taylor and Miles Shinkwin.
Following George Groves decision not to fight for the European Super-Middleweight title on the show, he will now not feature. However, a big announcement will be made shortly regarding a replacement bout.
We apologise to fans who have booked travel and accommodation for the show and have been inconvenienced by this unavoidable change.
Tickets that have been purchased for the show will be still be valid for the new date.
*Dereck Chisora’s appearance is subject to him receiving his British Boxing Board of Control license.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity