- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- “Payasito”-Tostado in the works for May in Mexico
- A Trio of U.S. Boxers Earn Preliminary Round Victories at the 2014 Youth World Championships
- Chinese Taipei impress in Sofia
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
- Brandon Adams looks to stay undefeated with win over Gatica
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
MSG Network’s “Friday Night Fights” – Marlon Starling vs. Mark Breland (4/16/88) Tonight
Tonight at 9:00 p.m. on MSG Network’s “Friday Night Fights,” hosted by John Duddy and Mark Breland: Marlon Starling vs. Mark Breland (4/16/88).
At the time of this 1988 bout in Las Vegas, Breland had only one professional defeat – to Marlon Starling the previous year. Looking for revenge and the world welterweight title, Breland went the distance with Starling in the rematch only to be disappointed in the outcome yet again. Starling retained the belt with a draw, which was disputed by many who thought he had clearly out boxed the challenger. Breland disagrees to this day, but gives Starling and his corner, which consisted of the legendary Eddie Fuch and a very young Freddie Roach, credit for their aggressive style.
Duddy: “This is the rematch, you didn’t like Marlon.”
Breland: “No, not at all…he was a real pest. He stays right on top of you and throws arms, knees, everything. It was a tough fight.”
Duddy: “He had a couple of legendary trainers in his corner.”
Breland: “Thinking back now, and thinking about Ali vs. Frazier, Fuch was in Joe Frazier’s corner. Marlon came at me pretty much the same way, hands up, throwing punches, and I had to throw punches all night long like Ali.”
Duddy: “How did you feel about the draw?”
Breland: “I didn’t like it. I thought I won the fight, I mean, look at his face and look at mine after the fight.”
Friday Night Fights is part of MSG Network’s Summer Block Party. For more information go to www.msg.com/summer and join the conversation on Twitter with @MSGNetworks.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity