- Beamen Ready to Rule!
- Sampson Boxing Reaches Promotional Agreement with Canada’s Tyson Cave
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Heavyweight Prospect LaRon Mitchell Signs w/ Thompson Boxing; Fights this Friday on “Path to Glory”
- “Bad” Chad Dawson returns to Foxwoods resort casino on October 4th
- GOLOVKIN 165, RUBIO 174.5 AT 30-DAY WBC WEIGH IN
Martin Murray – Jarrod Fletcher for the vacant WBA title
MARTIN MURRAY will look to fulfill his dream of becoming St Helens’ first ever world champion in Monte Carlo on February 1.
The popular middleweight, 31, will take on Australia’s highly rated Jarrod Fletcher for the vacant WBA title at Salle des Etoiles and will be hoping to make it third time lucky.
Murray has contested world honors twice already, drawing with Felix Sturm in December 2011 and controversially being outpointed by Sergio Martinez in April this year.
“I’ve been unlucky before so I’m made up that I’ve got this opportunity on February 1,” Martin said.
“Jarrod Fletcher is a good kid. I’ve not seen too much of him, but we’ll working on that now we’ve got a date. He’s got a good pedigree and he beat James DeGale in the amateurs, which isn’t easy and proves he’s a good fighter.
“He’s going to be well up for this, but I think I’ll be the favorite and rightly so, given who I’ve fought before and how I’ve done against them.
“It’s going to be interesting for both of us, but I want everyone to know that there’s no way I’m coming home to St Helens without that world title.”
Fletcher lost inside two rounds to Billy Joe Saunders in 2012, but has won five fights since and is the WBA’s number three ranked contender.
Richard Poxon, Hatton Promotions’ director of boxing, said: “I can’t give any certainties in life, but one thing I guarantee is that Jarrrod Fletcher will be coming into the fight with every intention of taking that title back to Australia.
“Nobody should make the mistake that this is a walk in the park for Martin and all he’s got to do is turn up because that’s how people slip on banana skins and end up with nothing.
“This is a proper fight for a proper world title and Fletcher will be training hard somewhere now with the sole intention of beating Martin Murray on February 1st.
Murray v Fletcher is the chief supporting contest to Gennady Golovkin’s WBA ‘Super’ middleweight title clash with Osumanu Adama on Golden Gloves’ Night of Champions.
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Cletus Seldin blasts out Gil!