- Maidana: First I’m going to give Mayweather a beating, and then I’m going to KO him
- Anthony Joshua sparring with Wladimir to get him ready for Kubrat Pulev fight
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Maidana doubts Mayweather can improve from previous fight
- Roach: Algieri isn’t in Pacquiao’s class
- Golovkin vs. Rubio, October 18 at StubHub Center
- Pacquiao & Algieri 27,000-Mile Media Tour Starts Monday!
- United States’ Boxers Undergo Final Preparations for Youth Olympic Games Competition in China
- GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS, FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES CELEBRATE THE ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES
- WBO VISITS BOXING GYMS IN PUERTO RICO TO HAND OUT PREPAID CARDS TO STUDENT-BOXERS
- How World Champion Sindy Amador Developed her Love for the Sweet Science
- Joey Dawejko headlines on Friday, September 19 at Harrahs Philadelphia
Payano already on weight for ESPN FNF
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (June 11, 2013) — Undefeated Dominican bantamweight Juan Carlos Payano (13-0, 7 KOs) and his coach, German Caicedo, report that the slick southpaw is on weight at 118 pounds for this weekend’s ESPN Friday Night Fights showdown against unbeaten Philippine invader Jundy “Pretty Boy” Maraon (15-0-1, 12 KOs).
“We got down to weight ahead of schedule,” Caicedo said. “Payano will work to stay on weight for Thursday’s official weigh in and be strong Friday night for his fight.”
Payano, ranked No. 5 in the World Boxing Association (WBA), faces Maraon in a 12-round main event and WBA title eliminator, presented by Greg Cohen Promotions in association with Acquinity Sports, at South Mountain Arena in South Orange, New Jersey. The winner will be positioned for a world title shot against WBA bantamweight champion Koki Kamda.
In the co-feature, Caicedo-trained featherweight Yenifiel Vicente (24-1-2, 16 KOs) faces Jorge Diaz (17-1, 10 KOs) in an eight-round match.
Scheduled to fight on the undercard in six-round bouts are Antoine Ibahiem vs. Douglas King and Vazquez Paul vs. Harvel Lvarn, as well as Anthony Young vs. TBA, Marshall Moses vs. Rickey Edwards, Anthony Prescott vs. Anthony Gangemi, and Shakur Jackson vs. Michael Pickett in four-round matches.
Payano and Vicente leave tomorrow for New Jersey along with their head coaches, Caicedo and “Irish” Micky Ward, and assistant Claudio Lamont.
Payano is the reigning NABA and WBA Fedelatin bantamweight, while Maraon is a former World Boxing Organization (WBO) Asia Pacific bantamweight champion.
Go online to www.AcquinitySports.com for additional information about Payano or any of his Acquinity Sports stable-mates. Follow Acquinity S
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Deontay Wilder not worried about Stiverne’s power
- Shannon Briggs vs. Cory Phelps this Saturday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Hearn hinting Khan may need to be B-side against Brook