- SADAM ALI, ANTHONY PETERSON, MARCUS BROWNE AND SEVERAL HOT PROSPECTS TAKE TO THE RING AUG. 9
- LAMONT PETERSON, ANTHONY PETERSON AND D’MITRIUS BALLARD WASHINGTON D.C. MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES
- MANUEL “TINO” AVILA RETURNS HOME AGAINST UNBEATEN JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT SERGIO FRIAS ON FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES’ GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES FRIDAY, AUGUST 22
- Rod Salka, Edgar Santana & Jarrod Fletcher Relish Chance To Shock The World On Aug. 9 At Barclays Center
- Harley Davidson San Diego to hold Thompson Boxing Promotions “Path to Glory SD Style” Aug. 16
- Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson has the opportunity to put himself back in line for a world title shot on Saturday
Perez vs. Abdusalamov added to Golovkin vs Stevens card
An outstanding match-up between two undefeated heavyweights has been added to the Middleweight Championship card set for Saturday, November 2 at The Theatre at Madison Square Garden. Mike “The Rebel” Perez and Magomed “Mago” Abdusalamov will clash in the highly anticipated co-feature as was announced today by Tom Loeffler, Managing Director of K2 Promotions.
Televised Live on HBO®, beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT, the Perez vs. Abdusalamov bout, presented in association with Sampson Boxing LLC, will be the co-feature for the main event between Boxing’s fastest rising superstar, Gennady “GGG” Golovkin and world ranked contender Curtis Stevens.
“We’re very excited to announce this terrific clash of these two undefeated, hard punching heavyweights,” said Loeffler. “The fans in the arena and those watching on HBO are the true winners as the winner of this fight will move toward the top of the heavyweight division. “
“Perez is a fighter that we think very highly of and Abdusalamov has proven himself to be one of the biggest punchers in the heavyweight division. Both of these outstanding fighters are taking a big risk in putting their undefeated records on the line in order to prove themselves in their HBO debut.”
Stated Sampson Lewkowicz, the exclusive promoter of Abdusalamov, “I strongly believe that “Mago” Magomed Abdusalamov will bring back to the fans the heavyweight excitement of old times. I want to thank K2 Promotions and HBO for the opportunity for Abdusalamov to defend his WBC United States Heavyweight Championship on such a big stage.”
“Fighting at Madison Square Garden is a dream come true for me” said Perez. “‘Mago’ is a very strong heavyweight, but I’ve already started my training in Big Bear, California, and I will win this fight and put on a very strong performance on HBO.”
Said Abdusalamov, “I want to thank my team for setting up this opportunity and I’m looking forward to fighting a decorated fighter like Mike Perez in Madison Square Garden.”
“Heavyweight fights are always an attractive element to a major card and we’re delighted to spotlight this showdown between two undefeated top contenders,” said Peter Nelson, director of programming, HBO Sports.
“Heavyweights have a strong tradition at Madison Square Garden from John L. Sullivan to Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko and the list goes on and on,” said Joel Fisher, executive vice president, MSG Sports. “We’re happy the Mike Perez vs. Magomed Abdusalamov bout has been added and the ‘big guys’ will have an opportunity to fight in the same building as these great champions.”
Born in Ciego de Avila, Cuba and fighting out of Cork, Ireland, Perez has a record of 19-0-0 with twelve knockouts. The 27-year-old is coming off a ten round unanimous decision in which he shut out Travis Walker on May 4 in Mannheim, Germany. The fight took place on the World Heavyweight Championship event where Wladimir Klitschko defended his titles against Francesco Pianeta.
A highly accomplished amateur, Perez competed in the 2004 World Junior Championships, 2005 World Cup and the 2007 Cuban National Championships.
Abdusalamov hails from Makhachkala, Russia and the 32-year-old, heavy-handed heavyweight has won all eighteen of his professional bouts by knockout. Most recently he stopped Sebastian Ceballos in the first round on April 27 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Having fought numerous times in the United States, fans in America are well aware of Abdusalamov’s reputation of ending a fight at any time. He is currently world ranked #4 by the World Boxing Council and #10 by the World Boxing Association.
As an amateur, Abdusalamov was a Russian National Champion in 2005 and 2006.
The event is presented by K2 Promotions in association with Main Events, GGG Promotions and Madison Square Garden. Tickets priced at $300, $200, $100 and $50 are on sale at the Madison Square Garden Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster charge by phone (866-858-0008) and online at www.ticketmaster.com and www.thegarden.com
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Kovalev-Caparello Final Press Conference Quotes
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In
- Hatton says Browne could fight Tyson Fury…