- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
- Thompson Boxing Promotions Presents “Loaded” card featuring Efrain Esquivias, Giovani Santillan, & Jose Roman
- “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” Debuts Saturday, April 19 on HBO
- WSB: Daniel Asenov is the hero of the day
Richie Commey begins Alive & Kicking Ambassadorial role
Ghana’s IBF Continental Africa Lightweight titlist, Richie Commey has began his new position as the Ambassador for social charity, Alive & Kicking after he was officially unveiled on Thursday October 10, 2013 in Accra to champion the cause of the NGO which produces balls to create employment in Kenya, Zambia and of course, Ghana.
Commey who has vowed to use the new role to encourage young potential sportsmen to attach equal importance to education as they will to their sports persuasions, has quickly stepped into the job by immediately touring two schools within the James Town suburbs where he grew up.
“It’s simply a great opportunity and I feel humbled and privileged to be appointed to this role. There are a lot of boxers and sportsmen in this country so for me to be chosen, is fantastic and feels great,” Commey told East Side Boxing exclusively after his unveiling.
“I hope to help promote the good work of Alive & Kicking and also encourage the young ones to take their education serious. It’s also an avenue to send a message to the authorities to do something about boxing for young people,” Commey added after donating 5 footballs, 5 boxing gloves, 5 bandages, 5 pads to pupils of the Private Odartey Lamptey ‘2’ JHS located along the High Street in Accra.
The boxer in company of his UK based manager, Michael Amoo-Bediako, trainer Carl Lokko, Alive & Kicking Country Director, Chris Roe had earlier donated the same quantity of items to the Accra Sempe Primary School too.
“Alive & Kicking was established to exploit Africa’s love for sport by making quality balls and create jobs for the disadvantaged in society. We also create awareness about deadly disease like HIV and malaria and a rising star, Ghanaian boxer Richard Commey best suits the role of our Ambassador. This is a starting point for us to form a strong relationship,” stated Mr. Roe.
“We have gained an insight into the good work you are doing. Wherever we go around the world to fight, Richard will take your balls to show the world about the good work you are doing,” Mr. Amoo-Bediako told the Alive & Kicking workers after the team were taken through the rudiments of making a ball at the charity’s offices.
Alive and Kicking manufactures quality sports balls in Kenya, Zambia and added Ghana to their active countries list in August last year and have been producing balls since January with the aim to reach out to other countries around West Africa soon.
Their footballs, volleyballs, netballs, handballs and rugby balls generate employment for over 120 people and also provide a product tailored for the African market and are used as a tool for raising health awareness.
Established in 2004 by the late Jim Cogan OBE, an inspirational teacher with a passion for African development whose vision was to see the large scale production of sports balls in Africa, Alive & Kicking are the only formal manufacturer of sports balls on the African continent.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity
- ShoBox: The New Generation Final Weights & Quotes For Friday’s Iron Mike Productions Tripleheader
- Final press conference quotes for “History at the capitol: Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov”
- The British Invader: Steed “The Stallion” Woodall
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather’s Power
- Maidana doesn’t have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money