- Gennady Golovkin takes to the hill Saturday night
- Hernandez and Arslan respectful, confident of victory!
- Demetrius Andrade invades Liverpool, England
- “Lara is one of the best I’ll ever face” admits Canelo on eve of eagerly anticipated clash live on Boxnation
- Boxing After Dark returns August 2
- Antoine Douglas headlines quadruple header on Sho Box July 25 at Turning Stone Resort Casino
Sapiyev named UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador for Sport
Lausanne, Switzerland, September 30, 2013 – The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) have made Kazakhstan boxing legend Serik Sapiyev a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador for Sport for 2013-2015.
The London 2012 Welterweight (69kg) Men’s Gold Medallist was voted Best Boxer of the Games (as the winner of the ‘Val Barker Trophy’ awarded by the accredited media). He was nominated an Ambassador by UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova in recognition of his commitment to promoting education and sport programmes for young people in Kazakhstan, his charitable activities, and his dedication to the ideals and aims of UNESCO.
In his capacity as a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador for Sport, Sapiyev will support UNESCO’s activities, promoting the values of education and sports, with a focus on projects and activities concerning young people, heritage, the environment, and HIV/AIDS.
The two-time AIBA World Champion (2005 and 2007) joins famous sportswomen and sportsmen such as Virgilijus Alekna, Veronica Campbell Brown, Sergiy Bubka, David Douillet, Vyacheslav Fetisov, Hakuho (Davaajargal Munkhbat), Justine Henin, Vitaliy & Wladimir Klitschko, Edson Arantes Do Nascimento ‘Pelé’, Michael Schumacher, Jacqueline (Jackie) Silva, Oscar Washington Tabarez.
“It’s really an honour. I am so proud that UNESCO has nominated me for such an important and prestigious position. I am very excited by the opportunity and I will strive to do everything I can to help promote and develop sports”.
Sapiyev, 29, who was forced to end his career after the Games due to a severe wrist fracture, was also recently awarded a Presidential Scholarship and will be leaving soon to the United Kingdom to start a Masters degree in Sports Management at Brunel University in London.
- Cameron Hammond outpoints Argentina’s Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
- Ruslan Chagaev wins “Regular” WBA heavyweight title with majority decision win over Fres Oquendo
- Farenas stops Davis in 8th Dib & Martin win decisions
- Williams, Vincent remain unbeaten through tough battles on undercard of ESPN showcase
- Tori Nelson retains title in Baltimore!
- Younan And Cruz Stay Unbeaten At Foxwoods
- De Alba wins 11th in a row with 5th round stoppage over Batres
- Live Stream: Canelo vs Lara Weigh-In at 6 ET/3 PT
- Cleverly: Tomorrow is the calm before the Bellew storm
- Alvarez vs. Lara – A fight for Alvarez to lose
- Canelo-Lara Fight Week Coverage – Presser
- Mayweather vs. Maidana II Set For Sept. 13 Live on SHO PPV
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Erislandy Lara: Winner enters elite ranks
- Bradley Up For A Miguel Cotto Fight