- SADAM ALI, ANTHONY PETERSON, MARCUS BROWNE AND SEVERAL HOT PROSPECTS TAKE TO THE RING AUG. 9
- LAMONT PETERSON, ANTHONY PETERSON AND D’MITRIUS BALLARD WASHINGTON D.C. MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES
- MANUEL “TINO” AVILA RETURNS HOME AGAINST UNBEATEN JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT SERGIO FRIAS ON FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES’ GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES FRIDAY, AUGUST 22
- Rod Salka, Edgar Santana & Jarrod Fletcher Relish Chance To Shock The World On Aug. 9 At Barclays Center
- Harley Davidson San Diego to hold Thompson Boxing Promotions “Path to Glory SD Style” Aug. 16
- Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson has the opportunity to put himself back in line for a world title shot on Saturday
Sartonk Launches Second Annual Ali-King Award
29 October 2013, Union City, NJ — SARTONK has launched the second annual Ali-King Award. Named after Martin Luther King, Jr. and Muhammad Ali, this essay contest is intended to promote literacy and critical thinking among boxing youth. Boxers and aspiring boxing writers are invited to submit essays on one of five topics, ranging from the social significance of boxing to comparative analyses of Ali and King.
“We want to encourage boxers to train their minds, as well as, their bodies,” comments Hasmig Tatiossian, Executive Manager at SARTONK. “By thinking about the lives that Ali and King led, we’d also like them to recognize the links between boxing and social consciousness,” she adds.
The Ali-King Award is sponsored by boxing’s international sanctioning bodies (WBA, IBF, WBO, IBO) as well as, prominent organizations and gyms. This year, SARTONK is proud to announce that the Wu Tang Brand — the official brand of the hip hop pioneers and urban cultural icons — has also decided to sponsor the project. “We’re proud of Wu-Tang’s involvement,” remarks Ed Majian, President at SARTONK. “First, it highlights the cultural relevance of boxing and, second, it speaks to the fact that Wu-Tang, the legendary music phenomenon, champions the virtues of literacy and critical thinking as pathways to personal and social transformation.”
The Awardees, to be honored at Gleason’s Boxing Gym in Brooklyn, NY, will each receive SARTONK’s exclusive Ali-King Statue, a book stipend, and a certificate bearing the logos of all the sponsors. The first place winner will have the opportunity to train and lunch with a former Champion at Gleason’s Gym. “We’re grateful to all of our sponsors for recognizing the importance of this project. A special thanks to Bruce Silverglade, President of Gleason’s, who’s welcomed this project from day one and has generously opened the gym to us,” expresses Tatiossian.
Essay submissions will be evaluated by a panel of judges (TBA) composed of boxing writers, boxers, and educators. They are due by midnight, November 18, 2013.
For more information, including eligibility requirements, rules, and essay topics, please visit www.sartonk.com/ali-king.
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Kovalev-Caparello Final Press Conference Quotes
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In
- Hatton says Browne could fight Tyson Fury…