- Maidana: First I’m going to give Mayweather a beating, and then I’m going to KO him
- Anthony Joshua sparring with Wladimir to get him ready for Kubrat Pulev fight
- Maidana doubts Mayweather can improve from previous fight
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Hearn: Kell Brook is an obvious opponent for Mayweather in 2015
- Roach: Algieri isn’t in Pacquiao’s class
- NEW TRAINER CONFIDENT IN MIKE JONES RETURN THIS SATURDAY
- Brook receives Lord Mayor’s welcome home on Friday
- MANCHESTER VERSUS LIVERPOOL BATTLE FOR THE ENGLISH TITLE
- USA Boxing’s Elite Women to Face Northern Neighbors in the Battle of the Frontiers on August 21
- Gingras-McCreedy, young stars headline Sept. 12
- New wave of Canadian prospects were showcased last weekend by EOTTM
Schaefer wants Matthysse vs. Maidana next
By Jeff Sorby: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is no longer disguising the fact that he wants to make a big Argentinian match-up between welterweight Marcos Maidana (33-3, 30 KO’s) and WBC interim light welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse (32-2, 30 KO’s) next, if Matthysse gets past his fight tonight against fringe contender Mike Dallas Jr. (19-2-1, 8 KO’s) at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, The Joint, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
The problem here is Matthysse wants to fight Schaefer’s Golden Boy stable fighter WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia, as he’s his mandatory challenger and he had to work hard to get to that position. So for Schaefer to put Maidana, a fighter without a title, as another hoop that Matthysse has to jump through in order to get to the fight he really wants against Danny Garcia, it gives the impression to some boxing fans that Schaefer is trying to protect the arguably more popular Garcia from getting beaten before he gets his big money rematch against Amir Khan.
Schaefer said to ESPN “I have one fight as a fan I want to see, and if you ask fight fans out there what they want to see, and it’s been talked about for a while, that would be Lucas Matthysse against Marcos Maidana. That is definitely a fight which I am interested in making and there is substantial network interest. The fighters can make substantial money, and it would be a barn burner.”
The problem with this fight is Matthysse gains nothing from beating Maidana, and he won’t likely get a lot of credit if he beats him because Maidana has already been beaten by Andriy Kotelnik, Amir Khan and Devon Alexander. The loss to Alexander came just last year, and it was totally one-sided. Maidana is only one fight removed from that defeat, and he didn’t look good in going life and death with journeyman Jesus Soto-Karass in his last fight.
Matthysse won’t get a title by beating Maidana, and he would still have to fight Danny Garcia for a title after that. The Maidana fight would likely be a hard one for Matthysse because Maidana’s a welterweight now and he’d be the bigger guys. So Matthysse would come out of that fight likely a little worn out, and then presumably he would get the fight with Garcia for the title. I think that’s a rotten deal for Matthysse and he should say no.
If Schaefer really wants someone to fight Maidana, then he needs to push aside the faded 35-year-old Zab Judah and have Danny Garcia fight Maidana. It would be a break from the old fighters that Schaefer keeps feeding Garcia. We’ve seen Garcia fight 36-year-old Erik Morales twice in the past year, and now he’s fighting 35-year-old Judah. If there’s anyone who should be fighting, it’s Garcia, not Matthysse. Let him fight Maidana and get beaten up. Then he could finally defend his WBC title against Matthysse immediately afterwards, and we’ll see how well Danny will do.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Shannon Briggs vs. Cory Phelps this Saturday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Hearn hinting Khan may need to be B-side against Brook
- Loeffler sees Rubio as tough test for Golovkin
- Danny Garcia – Viktor Postol fight ordered by WBC
- Erislandy Lara back in action in November
- Hearn likes Brandon Rios for Kell Brook’s next fight on 12/6
- Golovkin vs. Rubio, October 18 at StubHub Center