- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Arum wants Pacquiao vs. Mayweather in Macao, China
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- IRON BOY PROMOTIONS ANNOUNCES IRON BOY 16: EL PASO
- Fight Network Presents Galahad vs. Dos Santos LIVE Boxing this Sat. at 5 pm ET
- NY Golden Gloves Champion Earl Newman to make pro debut Oct 4
- The United States’ Jose Alday, Jr., and LeShawn Rodriquez Advance in Leszek Drogosz Competition in Poland
- Mchunu-Wilson Final Press Conference Quotes
- Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Premieres This Saturday on SHOWTIME Immediately Followed By “ALL ACESS: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Epilogue”
Scouse Starlet Smith Gets Wythenshawe Return
Scouse starlet, Anthony Smith, is delighted to be facing a live opponent when he has his fourth pro outing on VIP Promotions’ next show at The Wythenshawe Forum on May 10.
Out for over a year with injuries, unbeaten Smith will face Staffordshire’s Brett Fidoe, who enters the contest on the back of a first round KO after putting up decent displays in two previous career losses.
“I’m really looking forward to it and can’t wait to get back in the ring,” stated flyweight Smith.
“I haven’t seen anything of him, but have had a look at him on BoxRec. I’m expecting a bit of a scrap. He’ll come forward if he’s knocked someone out [in his last bout], but I’ll find out more about him and then work on that.
“I can box and I can fight. I’m probably more of a boxer and if I see opportunities then I’ll start throwing the harder shots, but if he’s a fighter then I’ll box him, and if he’s a boxer I’ll fight him. He’ll be up for the fight though. It won’t be like fighting a journeyman, so I’m really looking forward to it.”
Smith, a former Junior ABA winner and England international who lost just three of 21 amateur bouts, comes from a fighting family. Twin brother Phil is also a pro, currently at 3-1, and the pair regularly help each other out with sparring duties.
With few flyweights in the UK, and with British champion, and VIP stable mate, Kevin Satchell likely to move onto Europe soon, the scenario of the Smith brothers’ one day clashing for domestic honours has already been mooted. Although not an impossibility, the bond between the siblings is strong and Anthony would much rather realise his Lonsdale Belt dream by beating a rival a little less close to home.
“It’s a really good thing we’re both fighters because we’re the same weight and we help each other out,” explained the 26-year-old, who doubles as a metal worker. “I wouldn’t like to [fight Phil] but you can ‘never say never’. I can’t really see it happening and I don’t really want to do it, and I don’t think he’d want to either, but until it comes up you just never know.”
“I really rate these Smith brothers,” said promoter Steve Wood, “and it’s great to get Anthony back out after a bit of a lay-off. We’ve matched him with a decent kid for this Wythenshawe show and it’ll be a good test and a great fight for the fans.
“The last show at this venue, just a couple of months ago, was a real success and there’ll be some exciting fights on this card, including local lads Jimmy Kelly Jnr and Kofi Yates, as well as the return of former European super-featherweight champion, Stephen Foster Jnr.”
VIP Promotions presents an evening of top-class boxing at The Wythenshawe Forum on May 10. On the bill will be fighters from across the North West including Salford’s Stephen Foster Jnr, Gorton’s Ryan ‘Ruthless’ Doyle, Denton’s Lyndon ‘Lights Out’ Newman, Bolton’s Danny Watson, Liverpool’s Anthony Smith, and Wythenshawe’s Jimmy Kelly Jnr and Kofi Yates.
Tickets, priced at £30 (General), £35.00 (Stage) and £50 (Ringside), are available from all boxers or at www.vipbe.co.uk
Keep updated on VIP Promotions’ news by visiting www.vipboxing.com or follow on Twitter @vipboxing. Currently, you can also watch free fights at www.vipboxing.tv and on the VIP YouTube channel.
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things