- UniMás to Air Rigondeaux Title Defense at Venetian Macao, July 19 at 11 PM ET/PT
- Derek Ennis Steps in to Face Caleb Truax on Friday, July 25, At UIC Pavilion in Chicago
- Czar Returns to Sands 8/9 for NBCSN Fight Night
- Gavronski, Tureano Headline ESPN Friday Night Fights and Noche de Combates
- Matchroom Boxing Fight Pass launches in August
- Elton Dharry to headline against Antwan Robertson Friday, August 1
Sergey Rabchenko looking to hit the boxing jackpot
New York, NY / Monaco / Johannesburg (February 5, 2013) – European junior-middleweight champion Sergey Rabchenko’s march to a world title will continue when he defends his title for the second time against Adriano Nicchi of Italy in Monte Carlo on March 30.
Rabchenko, of Belarus, will fight on the undercard of the Monte Carlo Million Dollar Super Four event.
To date, Rabchenko has fought primarily in Eastern Europe and the United Kingdom, but a cosmopolitan Monte Carlo audience can see for themselves one of the world’s best emerging boxers.
“Rabchenko is probably the most gifted kid I’ve been involved with,” said renowned promoter and manager Philippe Fondu. “If properly managed and promoted, he’s got the potential to become a great and charismatic champion. He is indeed running short of possible worthy opponents in the UK and is delighted to be given the opportunity to showcase his talent against the reigning Italian champion in such a prestigious venue.”
Rabchenko (22-0, 16 KOs) is a devastating puncher and boasts defeats of the likes of awkward southpaw Cedric Vitu and former championship contender Ryan Rhodes.
Fondu believes that with the division in such a state of flux, Rabchenko could be in the title mix before long.
“It is difficult to say who will be the WBC champion in a few months, but some great opportunities await Rabchenko,” said Fondu.
A sharp puncher with a good chin, Rabchenko has the added benefit of having Ricky Hatton in his corner.
“With Ricky at my side I can win a world title,” said the Belarussian, aged 26.
A former student of the Belarussian State University of Physical Culture, Rabchenko participated as an amateur in numerous world and European championships. A multiple national champion, he won 208 of his 228 amateur bouts.
The former undefeated WBA Inter-Continental light-middleweight champion, he is rated by the three major boxing bodies (WBC #3, WBA #6, IBF#10).
The Rabchenko-Nicchi fight is part of the Monte-Carlo Million Dollar Super Four, a four-man boxing spectacular put together by African promotional giant Golden Gloves in partnership with the Monte-Carlo SBM Group.
The elimination event features Edwin Rodriguez (22-0, 15 KOs), Zsolt Erdei (33-0, 18 KOs), Denis Grachev of Russia (12-1-1, 8 KOs) and Ezequiel Osvaldo Maderna (19-0, 13 KOs).
Co-headlining this mammoth triple-header on March 30, which will pit Rodriguez against Maderna and Zsolt versus Grachev in the opener, is one of the biggest stars in world boxing today.
Undefeated WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (25-0, 22 KOs), fresh off his sensational seventh-round destruction of Gabriel Rosado at Madison Square Garden, will defend his title against dangerous Japanese contender Nobuhiro Ishida (24-8, 9 KOs).
The Golovkin-Ishida bout will be promoted in association with K2 Promotions, while the Rodriguez-Maderna and Erdei-Grachev matchups will be promoted in association with DiBella Entertainment.
- Cameron Hammond outpoints Argentina’s Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
- Ruslan Chagaev wins “Regular” WBA heavyweight title with majority decision win over Fres Oquendo
- Farenas stops Davis in 8th Dib & Martin win decisions
- Williams, Vincent remain unbeaten through tough battles on undercard of ESPN showcase
- Tori Nelson retains title in Baltimore!
- Younan And Cruz Stay Unbeaten At Foxwoods
- De Alba wins 11th in a row with 5th round stoppage over Batres
- Mikey Garcia: Lara could out-box Canelo
- Lara: After Canelo, I want Mayweather
- Brook: I’ll prove I am the real deal against Porter
- Canelo vs Lara Grand Arrival Photos, Videos
- Arum makes offer to Algieri to face Pacquiao next on 11/22 in Macao
- Pugilist KOrner Radio: Don Chargin, Peter Quillin, Steve Smoger, Austin Trout, Brian Viloria, Vanes Martirosyan, and Mike Stafford
- A Tale of Two Anthony’s: Upcoming fights featuring 2012 Olympians Anthony Joshua and Ogogo