- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- Devine ready for Connor in grudge match
- DIBELLA ENTERTAINMENT & NEW LEGEND BOXING ANNOUNCE OFFICIAL SIGNING OF UNDEFEATED PROSPECT ALANTEZ FOX TO EXCLUSIVE CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
- Shakur Stevenson, Jajaira Gonzalez and Darmani Rock to Kick Off 2014 Youth Olympic Games Competition for Team USA
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez To Attend HOF Weekend
CANASTOTA, NY – MAY 30, 2013 – The International Boxing Hall of Fame announced reigning world middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez will attend festivities planned for the 24th Annual Hall of Fame Induction Weekend June 6-9th.
“Sergio Martinez is a charismatic boxing superstar and recognized the world over as one of the top pound-for-pound best in the sport,” said Hall of Fame director Edward Brophy. “We’re looking forward to welcoming him back to Canastota.”
The fighting pride of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Martinez turned pro in 1997. “Maravilla” captured the WBC light middleweight championship before going up in weight to defeat Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik (W 12) in 2010 for the WBC / WBO / The Ring middleweight titles.
During his championship career, he has registered wins over Alex Bunema (TKO 8), Paul Williams (KO 2), Darren Barker (KO 11), Matthew Macklin (TKO 11), Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (W 12) and, most recently, Martin Murray (W 12) in front of nearly 50,000 fans in his hometown of Buenos Aires. His pro record now stands at 51-2-2 (28 KOs). Martinez will be accompanied to Canastota by his advisor Sampson Lewkowicz.
“Sergio Martinez is very excited to share and be a part of the Hall of Fame festivities with all of his fans,” said Lewkowicz.
Events planned for the weekend include a banquet, a night of welterweight warriors, parade, golf tournament, boxing autograph card show, cocktail party and the Official Induction Ceremony honoring the Class of 2013. Inductees include two-division champion Arturo “Thunder” Gatti (posthumous), five-time world champion Virgil “Quicksilver” Hill and two-time junior flyweight champion Myung-Woo Yuh in the Modern category; “Let’s Get It On” referee Mills Lane, ring announcer Jimmy Lennon, Jr. and journalist Colin Hart. Posthumous inductees in the Old-Timer, Pioneer, Non-Participant and Observer categories will also be honored.
An impressive list of over 40 boxing greats from the United States and abroad are scheduled to participate in weekend festivities including Marvelous Marvin Hagler, “Irish” Micky Ward, Buster Douglas, James “Buddy” McGirt, Pipino Cuevas, Carlos Palomino, Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor, Julian Jackson, Wayne McCullough, Lucia Rijker, Mia St. John, Gerry Cooney, Gaspar Ortega, Tony DeMarco, Danny “Little Red” Lopez, Tracy Harris Patterson, Ruben Olivares, Carlos Ortiz and many more.
For more information on the Hall of Fame’s 24th Annual Induction Weekend please call (315) 697-7095, visit online at www.ibhof.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/InternationalBoxingHallofFame and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/BoxingHall.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- “Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2″ Showtime PPV undercard conference call transcript
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada