- Beamen Ready to Rule!
- Sampson Boxing Reaches Promotional Agreement with Canada’s Tyson Cave
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Heavyweight Prospect LaRon Mitchell Signs w/ Thompson Boxing; Fights this Friday on “Path to Glory”
- “Bad” Chad Dawson returns to Foxwoods resort casino on October 4th
- GOLOVKIN 165, RUBIO 174.5 AT 30-DAY WBC WEIGH IN
Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez To Attend HOF Weekend
CANASTOTA, NY – MAY 30, 2013 – The International Boxing Hall of Fame announced reigning world middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez will attend festivities planned for the 24th Annual Hall of Fame Induction Weekend June 6-9th.
“Sergio Martinez is a charismatic boxing superstar and recognized the world over as one of the top pound-for-pound best in the sport,” said Hall of Fame director Edward Brophy. “We’re looking forward to welcoming him back to Canastota.”
The fighting pride of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Martinez turned pro in 1997. “Maravilla” captured the WBC light middleweight championship before going up in weight to defeat Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik (W 12) in 2010 for the WBC / WBO / The Ring middleweight titles.
During his championship career, he has registered wins over Alex Bunema (TKO 8), Paul Williams (KO 2), Darren Barker (KO 11), Matthew Macklin (TKO 11), Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (W 12) and, most recently, Martin Murray (W 12) in front of nearly 50,000 fans in his hometown of Buenos Aires. His pro record now stands at 51-2-2 (28 KOs). Martinez will be accompanied to Canastota by his advisor Sampson Lewkowicz.
“Sergio Martinez is very excited to share and be a part of the Hall of Fame festivities with all of his fans,” said Lewkowicz.
Events planned for the weekend include a banquet, a night of welterweight warriors, parade, golf tournament, boxing autograph card show, cocktail party and the Official Induction Ceremony honoring the Class of 2013. Inductees include two-division champion Arturo “Thunder” Gatti (posthumous), five-time world champion Virgil “Quicksilver” Hill and two-time junior flyweight champion Myung-Woo Yuh in the Modern category; “Let’s Get It On” referee Mills Lane, ring announcer Jimmy Lennon, Jr. and journalist Colin Hart. Posthumous inductees in the Old-Timer, Pioneer, Non-Participant and Observer categories will also be honored.
An impressive list of over 40 boxing greats from the United States and abroad are scheduled to participate in weekend festivities including Marvelous Marvin Hagler, “Irish” Micky Ward, Buster Douglas, James “Buddy” McGirt, Pipino Cuevas, Carlos Palomino, Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor, Julian Jackson, Wayne McCullough, Lucia Rijker, Mia St. John, Gerry Cooney, Gaspar Ortega, Tony DeMarco, Danny “Little Red” Lopez, Tracy Harris Patterson, Ruben Olivares, Carlos Ortiz and many more.
For more information on the Hall of Fame’s 24th Annual Induction Weekend please call (315) 697-7095, visit online at www.ibhof.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/InternationalBoxingHallofFame and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/BoxingHall.
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Cletus Seldin blasts out Gil!