- Payasito” Hernandez Team will ask for Purse Bid
- Abel Sanchez, Graham Shaw, Fred Jenkins & Adam Booth
- Douglas vs. Soro ShoBox 200 Final Weights, Quotes
- Team England Headlines
- Derek “Pooh” Ennis looking to get back into title contention with win over Truax this Friday night in Chicago
- TAMPA BAY TIMES FORUM PRESENTS DUEL MAIN EVENT WITH TWO WORLD BOXING FEDERATION TITLES ON THE LINE
Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson returns against Cesar “El Dolar” Chavez in a 10-round junior welterweight match-up this weekend on Saturday, Dec. 14
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 11) – World-ranked contender Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson will attempt to end 2013 on a high note on Saturday, Dec. 14 when he squares off with countryman Cesar “El Dolar” Chavez in the main event of Golden Boy Promotions’ stellar card atthe Arena Quequi in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo Mexico.
The Televisa/FOX Deportes fight card will also feature unbeaten junior welterweight prospect Frankie “Pitbull” Gomez,who makes his Mexico debut against tough Ghanaian standout Prince Doku Jr. and Guadalajara’s Adan “Speedy” Mares will also make an appearance in a six-round lightweight matchup versus Tlaxcala’s Eugenio “Dinamita” Lopez.
Hard-hitting Chetumal, Quintana Roo Mexico contender Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson (27-3, 24 KO’s) is one of Mexico’s most exciting fighters, and this was never more evident than in his August WBC super featherweight title fight against Takashi Miura. Rising from two early knockdowns to rally and drop Miura later in the bout, Thompson lost a close decision, but he’s prepared to start a new winning streak and get back in the title picture immediately.
Winner of four of his last six bouts that includes an eight-round victory over Odilon Zaleta last month, Guasave’s Sinaloa MexicoCesar Chavez (21-4, 9 KO’s) is a veteran determined to shock the boxing world by handing Thompson a loss this weekend, and with not only a victory, but Mexican pride on the line, fans should expect to see a stellar effort from the always tough Chavez.
Eager to follow up the biggest win of his professional career, a near shutout of fellow prospect Lanard Lane in February, East Los Angeles’ Frankie “Pitbull” Gomez (15-0, 11 KO’s) is back in action this Saturday and ready to resume his quest for a world title. Just 21-years-old, Gomez has impressed boxing insiders with his substantial skill set, and now he will get a chance to impress Mexican fans for the first time.
Also making his Mexican debut on Dec. 14 will be Accra’s Prince Doku Jr. (18-3, 12 KO’s), a 27-year-old standout fighting for only the second time outside of his native Ghana. Currently on a hot streak of six consecutive wins that includes four knockouts, Doku is a stern challenge for rising star Gomez.
The brother of boxing superstar Abner Mares, 24-year-old Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico prospectAdan “Speedy” Mares (10-0, 3 KO’s) is rapidly soaring up the lightweight ladder, and three wins thus far in 2013 has only accelerated his progress. On Saturday, the Guadalajara prospect meets 26-year-old Eugenio “Dinamita” Lopez (34-24-2, 27 KO’s), a no-nonsense battler who never shies away from a challenge.
Thompson vs. Chavez, a 10-round junior welterweight bout, is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Cancún Boxing de Pepe Gómez and sponsored by Corona and Periódico QueQui. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. CT and the first fight begins at 6:00 p.m. CT. The FOX Deportes broadcast begins at 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT and the Televisa broadcast begins at 10:30 p.m. CT.
- Hyland back with a bang in New York
- Darryll Williams Beats Danny Brown To Maintain Unbeaten Record
- Avtandil Khurtsidze: Successful Comeback In NYC
- Patrick Hyland stops Echeverria in New York City
- Emanuel Taylor Defeats Karim Mayfield
- Guillermo Rigondeaux destroys Sod Kokietgym inside a round (with a little controversy thrown in!)
- Mararil Retains Title In Ugly Fight
- Golovkin vs. Geale: Will Daniel thrive or try to survive?
- How much will Saturday night tell us about the future of Tyson Fury?
- Better Know a Boxer: Sergey Kovalev
- Golovkin vs Geale Saturday on HBO
- Fury vs Ustinov this Saturday
- Tyson Fury to face Alexander Ustinov on Saturday
- Golovkin/Geale, Jennings/Perez New York City Media Workout Quotes