- Jermain Taylor -- FESSED UP TO SHOOTING COUSIN ... Cops Say
- Earlier Start Time Set for Mayweather vs Maidana 2
- The Mayweather-Pacquiao Business Paradox
- Roy Jones Jr. gives Las Vegas local Chuy first shot at title fight
- Maidana: I hope Mayweather will stand and fight like a man
- Marcos Maidana Interview Transcript
- WBC – Aug. 28, 2014 – Jose Sulaiman Boxers Fund
- GOLDEN BOY LIVE! RETURNS TO FANTASY SPRINGS RESORT CASINO ON OCTOBER 9 HEADLINED BY “RONNY RIOS VS. ROBINSON CASTELLANOS”
- “Cornered: Kenny Bayless” Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 9 on HBO®
- MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS’ FIGHTER MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES FOR SATURDAY’S SPECIAL EDITION OF SHOBOX: THE NEW GENERATION
- GOLOVKIN VS. RUBIO, Ticket Details, October 18 StubHub Center
- Red Dawn: Beterbiev vs. Cloud Sept 27 in Montreal
ShoBox Final Press Conference Quotes, Weigh-in: Jean vs. Pendarvis
MIAMI, Okla. (May 9, 2013) – The four confident boxers who will compete on ShoBox: The New Generation tomorrow/Friday, May 10, live on SHOWTIME® (11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) participated in a press conference /weigh-in Thursday at Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Okla.
In the ShoBox main event, undefeated Dierry “Dougy Style” Jean (24-0, 16 KOs), of Quebec, Canada, will meet southpaw Cleotis “Mookie” Pendarvis (17-3-1, 6 KOs), of Los Angeles, Calif., in a 10-round elimination bout for the No. 1 spot in the IBF’s 140-pound division.
The co-feature will pit unbeaten middleweights John “Apollo Kidd” Thompson (11-0, 4 KOs) of Newark, N.J., and left-hander Geovanni “Tarantula” Rodriguez (8-0, 5 KOs), of San Juan, Puerto Rico, in an eight-round scrap.
WEIGHTS: Jean weighed 139.6 pounds; Pendarvis tipped the scale at 139.8 pounds. Thompson weighed 153.8 pounds; Rodriguez 155.8.
Tickets priced at $25, $40 and $60 are available at www.buffalorun.com or by calling The Buffalo Run Box Office (918) 542-7140. Doors open at 7 p.m. CT.
Barry Tompkins will call the ShoBox action from ringside with Steve Farhood and former World Champion Raul Marquez serving as expert analysts. The executive producer is Gordon Hall with Richard Gaughan producing and Rick Phillips directing.
What the fighters said Thursday:
“I can’t lie. This is the biggest fight of my career. I’m very excited and totally prepared for this opportunity. I appreciate everybody who made the fight happen.
“I’m going to try and make it look easy, but I definitely expect a good fight. I know a lot of people have never seen me so I hope to make a great impression. But getting the big “W” is what counts the most.
“I’m one step from a world title shot, but all my focus is on this one fight. I know I have to take it one fight at a time. There is some pressure, of course, fighting in front of a huge TV audience. But it’s a good pressure, a positive pressure.
“Pendarvis is a slick guy, but I can fight any style. I am very excited about fighting on Friday.’’
CLEOTIS “MOOKIE’’ PENDARVIS
“Win — and I get a shot at the world championship. It doesn’t matter against whom. It’s as simple as that. I’ve put in the work and I’m ready to go.
“I’m ready to prove myself. I truly believe in myself. He’s got the undefeated record, but I’ve fought better than he has and have more skills than the guys he’s fought.
“I don’t feel like I’m the B-side in this fight. That kind of thing doesn’t matter to me. What does is what happens in the ring, and tomorrow it’s all about him and me.
“I’ve never had the kind of stability in my career that I have now. I have a good team. I’m more mature. I know what I have to do. I’ve gone through a lot in my life, but I’m happy where I’m at now.
“I’m ready for anything. I feel I can adapt to anything. I’m going to do what I have to do to get the win.’’
“I really want to thank SHOWTIME for this opportunity. This is my first pro fight on television and I am very excited.
“I’m going to do what I do best and that is box and use my height and reach. I love to fight and mix it up but my job is to box well and keep my poise. Those really are two main keys for me in all my fights.
“There’s no pressure, but I have to win impressively. I have to be myself. He’s unbeaten, I’m unbeaten. This will be a good fight.’’
“I’m excited for the opportunity to showcase my skills. This is the kind of fight I’ve been waiting for. It’s discouraging to not have fought in eight months, but we’ve challenged a couple of undefeated fighters twice and they both turned us down.
“I don’t know anything about my opponent except that he’s tall and likes to move a lot. But I’ve fought tall guys who move before, so that will not be a problem.
“This is an important step up fight for me. I need to win so I can move on to the next level. I am very hungry and very determined to come out victorious on Friday night.’’
For information on SHOWTIME Sports, including exclusive behind-the-scenes video and photo galleries, complete telecast information and more, please visit the website at http://sports.SHO.com.
- Comanche Boy Cruises To Victory Over Tracy Sneed
- Shannon Briggs destroys Cory Phelps in 1st round TKO
- Don “Da Bomb” George claims IBO Super Middleweight Belt
- Mhlongo & Mlotshwa Impressive In WBF Title Fight Victories
- Results from Friday’s “New Blood” Event in Corona, CA
- Trout gets off the canvas and back into the win column
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Andre Berto Eyes Impressive Showing in September 6 Ring Return
- Marcos Maidana Interview Transcript
- Mexican Boxing Legends Talk Marcos Maidana
- Nonito Donaire vs. Nicholas Walters on October 18th at StubHub Center, Carson, California
- Exciting Times for Randy Petalcorin
- Golovkin-Rubio “Mexican Style” Kick Off
- Jermain Taylor — FESSED UP TO SHOOTING COUSIN … Cops Say