- UniMás to Air Rigondeaux Title Defense at Venetian Macao, July 19 at 11 PM ET/PT
- Derek Ennis Steps in to Face Caleb Truax on Friday, July 25, At UIC Pavilion in Chicago
- Czar Returns to Sands 8/9 for NBCSN Fight Night
- Gavronski, Tureano Headline ESPN Friday Night Fights and Noche de Combates
- Matchroom Boxing Fight Pass launches in August
- Elton Dharry to headline against Antwan Robertson Friday, August 1
Shockwaves expected in Mexico with WSB semi-final held on the iconic El Zócalo
Lausanne, Switzerland, 10 April 2013 – World Series of Boxing (WSB) is delighted to announce that this season’s semi-final first leg match between Mexico Guerreros and Astana Arlans Kazakhstan will be held this Friday 12 April 2013 (21:00 local time) outside, on the main square of Mexico City.
El Zócalo, formally named Plaza de la Constitución is located in the heart of the historic centre of Mexico City. With its 57,600 square meters, it is one of the largest city squares in the world and has been a gathering place for Mexicans since the Aztec times. It has received foreign heads of state and is the main venue for both national celebration and national protest.
It is bordered by the Cathedral to the north, the National Palace to the east, the Federal District buildings to the south and the Old Portal de Mercaderes to the west. The Nacional Monte de Piedad building is at the north-west corner and the Templo Mayor to the northeast. In the centre is a flagpole with an enormous Mexican flag ceremoniously raised and lowered each day and carried into the National Palace.
Mexico Guerreros vs. Astana Arlans Kazakhstan will be the first ever boxing event to be held on this iconic place.
“It is within our mission to promote sports and physical activities, as well as to be host of high quality international sporting events that our community can benefit from and portray at a national and international level Mexico City as a leader in the organization of sports related massive events. The Mexico Guerreros are our representatives in WSB, so the City and the country are very interested in working with them. We are looking forward to accomplish more of our goals together”, declared Mr Miguel Ángel Mancera Espinosa, Mayor of Mexico City.
“It is a great honour for WSB and the Mexican Boxing Federation to have received such a proposal from the City of Mexico. This is an extremely exciting opportunity to demonstrate once more the status and the attractiveness of our competition programs in such a major market for the sport of boxing. I am convinced that both teams will give an amazing show and that this event will leave an important legacy in Mexico”, stated Dr Ching-Kuo Wu, AIBA President and WSB Board Chairman.
- Cameron Hammond outpoints Argentina’s Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
- Ruslan Chagaev wins “Regular” WBA heavyweight title with majority decision win over Fres Oquendo
- Farenas stops Davis in 8th Dib & Martin win decisions
- Williams, Vincent remain unbeaten through tough battles on undercard of ESPN showcase
- Tori Nelson retains title in Baltimore!
- Younan And Cruz Stay Unbeaten At Foxwoods
- De Alba wins 11th in a row with 5th round stoppage over Batres
- Mikey Garcia: Lara could out-box Canelo
- Lara: After Canelo, I want Mayweather
- Brook: I’ll prove I am the real deal against Porter
- Canelo vs Lara Grand Arrival Photos, Videos
- Arum makes offer to Algieri to face Pacquiao next on 11/22 in Macao
- Pugilist KOrner Radio: Don Chargin, Peter Quillin, Steve Smoger, Austin Trout, Brian Viloria, Vanes Martirosyan, and Mike Stafford
- A Tale of Two Anthony’s: Upcoming fights featuring 2012 Olympians Anthony Joshua and Ogogo