SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING Garners 1.3 Mil Viewers With Malignaggi-Broner
NEW YORK (June 26, 2013) – Last Saturday night’s hotly contested Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner Welterweight World Championship fight attracted an audience of 1.3 million viewers, the second-largest viewing audience for a bout on SHOWTIME since the network began tracking individual fights in 2009.
The average viewership for the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING televised tripleheader—promoted by Golden Boy Promotions from Brooklyn’s Barclays Center—was also the second highest average since Nielsen began separating SHOWTIME from the networks’ multiplex channels in 2004.
In the nearly 10 years since 2004, three of the top-four most watched SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING live telecasts have aired in the last seven months—Cotto vs. Trout, Dec. 2012; Malignaggi vs. Broner, June 2013; Canelo vs. Trout, April 2013—marking an upward trend. The fourth was Bernard Hopkins vs. Jean Pascal in 2010.
Further, the top-four largest audiences for an individual bout on SHOWTIME have come in the last 10 months—the aforementioned three plus Canelo vs. Lopez in Sept. 2012.
The surge in average viewership over the past two years represents an increase of over 50% since 2011 with two consecutive years of double-digit percentage gains. From 2011 through 2012, SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING ratings were up more than 30 percent and from 2012 to present, including last Saturday’s telecast, they are up 16 percent.
- Weights: Rigondeaux 121, Agbeko 121.6
- Malinga Looks To Mandela For Inspiration Against Hall
- Kazakhstan 4-1 Mexico: The Wolves tear up the Guerreros
- I CAN’T BEHEAD MALIGNAGGI BUT I CAN KNOCK HIM OUT’ ROARS ‘GLADIATOR’ JUDAH AS HE WEIGHS IN ON EVE OF BROOKLYN BATTLE LIVE ON BOXNATION
- “USS” CUNNINGHAM PAUSES TO REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR DAY
- Livestream: Judah vs Malignaggi Weigh-In -3:00 p.m. ET
- Sturm vs. Barker: Weigh-In Results
- Antoine Douglas, Jerry Odom Score KOs on Broadway Boxing
- Ivan Pereyra Wins WBF Intercontinental Title In Mexico
- Boyd Melson dominates King in Gotham City!
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round