- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- Shakur Stevenson, Jajaira Gonzalez and Darmani Rock to Kick Off 2014 Youth Olympic Games Competition for Team USA
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
Smith Jets Off To Malta, To Prepare Martin For Zilic Showdown On July 12th
Over the past year or so TRAD TKO supremo Johnny Eames’ right hand man, Barry Smith, has been splitting his time between the TRAD TKO Gym in London and the Fight Factory Gym in Malta, where he has been coaching the top Maltese prospects.
On Sunday Barry, who in his relatively short career has coached such luminaries of the sport such as former British Cruiserweight Champion Leon Williams, former Southern Area Lightweight Champion Ben Murphy, as well as current Southern Area Featherweight Champion Ian Bailey and WBU Super Middleweight World Champion Scott Dixon, once more packed his bags and set off to the idyllic Islands.
This time Barry has flown over to prepare WBU International Light Welterweight Champion Steve Martin for his upcoming fight, against Adnan Zilic, at the Greek Theatre, Ta Qali, this coming Friday.
Before setting off Barry spoke briefly about Steve Martin, his upcoming fight and the planned defense of Steve’s WBU title at York Hall, on October 4th.
“Yep, I’m off to Malta again, to train the WBU International Champion Steve Martin.
We’ve got a six rounder coming up on Friday, it’s going to be a good fight for him, he’s improved so much of late. I can see it now, this kid’s a hungry kid.
I bought him over to the TRAD TKO earlier this year for a bit of experience, we had him sparring with the likes of Colin Lynes, Dion Reid, Michael Grant and people like Freddie Turner, you know what I mean, classy fighters.
This is what Stevie needs, good sparring with real prospects, because he wants it more than anyone and he’s prepared to come over from Malta and spar with these guys.
He wasn’t even fazed by these guys, which proved to me just how much he wants this.
Steve Martin’s my boy, he stands out as a real good prospect.
Also there’s another one over there that is beginning to look like a good prospect, he’s another one that will be turning pro with us.
I like bringing the boys over, as they are respectful and they can fight, just they don’t get the chance to spar with quality opponents in Malta at the moment. I’m sure this will change, but at the moment it’s best to bring them to London so we can really test them.
Besides this fight in Malta on Friday, we’ve got Steve coming to London in October to defend his title.
This is fantastic for Steve Martin, also for myself and for the Fight Factory boys, I mean he’ll be coming over to defend his WBU title.
Steve is the real Champion of Malta, as we all know, now we want to bring him over to London and defend his title against guys over here, you know what I mean, we’re not frightened to travel anywhere and we’ll fight anyone.”
Steve Martin versus Adnan Zilic features on the Abner Ablea promoted event at the Greek Theatre, Ta Qali, which is headlined by the professional debut of Heavyweight sensation Billy Corito, against Radenko Kovac, as well as also features WBU Super Middleweight World Champion Scott Dixon in a non-championship battle against Remo Arns, on Friday 12th July 2013.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015