- Courtney Richards Ready To Rumble
- Khattab handed tough test for Copenhagen return
- IRON BOY PROMOTIONS PARTNERS WITH TOP RANK BOXING TO PRESENT IRON BOY 15
- WBC – Aug. 28, 2014 – Jose Sulaiman Boxers Fund
- GOLDEN BOY LIVE! RETURNS TO FANTASY SPRINGS RESORT CASINO ON OCTOBER 9 HEADLINED BY “RONNY RIOS VS. ROBINSON CASTELLANOS”
- “Cornered: Kenny Bayless” Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 9 on HBO®
Step Up or Step Off: Analyzing Kendall Holt’s decision to move up in weight
by James Harrison: Kendall Holt announced his plans to move up to 147 pounds via twitter stating, “Already planning an April/May return to the ring at 47, no more helping my opponents out by killing myself to make weight.
The decision comes after taking a beating in his 8th round TKO loss at the hands of Lamont Peterson. The fight was stopped after referee Tony Weeks felt Holt was unable to intelligently defend himself. Holt was repeatedly floored by Peterson in what many consider a last effort to redeem himself as a top contender. Some expected retirement talks for Holt after the loss.
At the post-fight press conference Holt struggled to find answers for his performance as he considered his future in boxing. He stated “I had a great training camp…My mind was clear…My body just wasn’t responding.” He also offered “Retirement is creeping in my mind.” Full of mixed thoughts, Holt also explained how he struggled to make weight. He said that he hadn’t eaten in three days.
He believes the move to 147 will should make it easier to make weight, but one has to wonder if his chin can stand up to the power of punchers at the next level. One may also question if Holt’s power will have the same effect on his opponents when he moves up.
WBA welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi supported Holt’s decision to move up and talked about how moving up benefited him as well. He told The Ring magazine, “I know that when I lost to Amir Khan, nobody believed in me…And here I am five fights later, I’m the welterweight world champion.”
Malignaggi’s advice sounds encouraging, but we’ll have to see what the future holds for Holt.
Follow the author on twitter @Rob_van_ham
- Comanche Boy Cruises To Victory Over Tracy Sneed
- Shannon Briggs destroys Cory Phelps in 1st round TKO
- Don “Da Bomb” George claims IBO Super Middleweight Belt
- Mhlongo & Mlotshwa Impressive In WBF Title Fight Victories
- Results from Friday’s “New Blood” Event in Corona, CA
- Trout gets off the canvas and back into the win column
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Andre Berto Eyes Impressive Showing in September 6 Ring Return
- Marcos Maidana Interview Transcript
- Mexican Boxing Legends Talk Marcos Maidana
- Nonito Donaire vs. Nicholas Walters on October 18th at StubHub Center, Carson, California
- Exciting Times for Randy Petalcorin
- Golovkin-Rubio “Mexican Style” Kick Off
- Jermain Taylor — FESSED UP TO SHOOTING COUSIN … Cops Say