Team USA’s Eduardo Martinez and LeShawn Rodriquez Fall in World Championships Action
COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) – Two more U.S. boxers dropped their preliminary bouts at the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan on the final day of first round competition. Bantamweight Eduardo Martinez (Aurora, Ill.) and middleweight LeShawn Rodriquez (Shirley, N.Y.) each competed in their first World Championships’ bouts at the Boluan Sholak Cultural & Sports Palace on Thursday.
Rodriguez competed in afternoon action in a contest with Belarus’ Vitali Bandarenka in middleweight preliminary round competition. The bout went to a split decision with one judge scoring the contest 30-27 for Bandarenka and a second seeing it 30-27 for Rodriguez. It was the third judge who made the determining ruling, giving the bout to Bandarenka by a 29-28 margin. The loss eliminates Rodriguez from the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships.
Martinez kicked off the evening session in a showdown with Turkey’s Selcuk Eker in his tournament opener. Eker won a unanimous decision victory over Martinez in the entertaining bantamweight preliminary round contest, eliminating the American from his first World Championships.
Three American boxers will box in Friday’s second round action at the Boluan Sholak Cultural & Sports Palace. Heavyweight Michel Hilton will take the ring for the first time in Kazakhstan, facing off with Juan Noguiera of Brazil. Flyweight Malik Jackson (Washington, D.C.) will open the day’s action in a bout with reigning world champion and top seed Andrew Selby of Wales in his second World Championships contest. Light welterweight Jose Alday (Odessa, Texas) will compete in his second bout of the tournament on Friday as well, battling Carlos Adame of the Dominican Republic in the afternoon session.
Over 450 boxers from 100 nations are competing in the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan with preliminary round action running through October 22. Quarterfinal competition will take place on October 23 followed by a rest day for all of the competitors on October 24. Semifinal round action will be contested on October 25 and the event will conclude with championship round bouts in all 10 weight divisions on October 26.
The Elite Men’s World Championships take place every two years and the 2013 edition is the first since the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Full event information, including: live scoring, results, competition schedules and draw sheets can be found on the AIBA website at www.aiba.org.
Ed Rivas (San Antonio, Texas), Kenneth Sims, Sr. (Chicago, Ill.), Kevin Benford (Cincinnati, Ohio), Edward “Mike” Murphy (Port Jeff Station, N.Y.), Jose Alday, Sr. (Odessa, Texas), and Todd Harlib (Cape Coral, Fla.) are serving as the staff for the event with Dr. Tony Al-Amin (Philadelphia, Pa.) working as the Team Physician.
123 lbs: Selcuk Eker, TUR, dec. Eduardo Martinez, Aurora, Ill./USA, 3-0
165 lbs: Vitali Bandarenka, BLR, dec. LeShawn Rodriquez, Shirley, N.Y./USA, 2-1
- OSCAR DE LA HOYA ELECTED TO THE INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME
- Adrien Broner and Marcos Maidana media conference call MEDIA
- Three R&R Promotions fighters collect WBC USA titles over the weekend
- Josesito Lopez quotes
- Manny Pacquiao Is Back On April 12, At The MGM Grand, Las Vegas
- Bob Arum: “We’re Willing To Make Anything Happen”
- De La Hoya, Trinidad and Calzaghe all headed into The Hall of Fame – all three greats fully deserving of the honour
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights
- Stevenson obliterates Bellew; Kovalev crushes Sillakh