- Brooklyn Brawl returns on Thursday, September 18 to the Millennium Theater
- Olympians and Champions populate APB’s 60kg Lightweight Category
- Amnat Ruenroeng vs McWilliams Arroyo date change; now on for Sept 10
- Coyle and Ryder heading to Dublin
- Sammy Vasquez Jr. Training Camp Quotes
- Raging Babe online store to launch Friday
The United States’ Cam F. Awesome is Eliminated From the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) – Veteran super heavyweight Cam F. Awesome (Lenexa, Kansas) took on the most challenging international contest of his career in the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships today in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Awesome faced off with reigning world champion and number one seed Magomedrasul Medzhidov of Azerbaijan in preliminary round competition. Awesome wasn’t able to upset the top ranked boxer in the world, dropping a 3-0 decision to Medzhidov at the Boluan Sholak Cultural & Sports Palace on Tuesday afternoon.
Awesome, who is competing in his second World Championships at the 2013 event, stayed competitive in the contest with one of the judges giving Medzhidov the decision by only one point. The American super heavyweight was able to gain valuable experience from the bout despite the loss. He was the final U.S. boxer remaining in contention at the Elite Men’s World Championships.
Junior World Champion Shakur Stevenson (Newark, N.J.) and Youth World Champion and Olympic gold medalist Claressa Shields (Flint, Mich.) will travel to Kazakhstan later this week to accept their respective Athlete of the Year awards from AIBA, the international federation for Olympic-style boxing. Both athletes are being honored by AIBA for their outstanding performances in 2013.
Over 450 boxers from 100 nations are competing in the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan with preliminary round action concluding today. Quarterfinal competition will take place tomorrow followed by a rest day for all competitors on October 24. Semifinal round action will be contested on October 25 and the event will conclude with championship round bouts in all 10 weight divisions on October 26.
The Elite Men’s World Championships take place every two years and the 2013 edition is the first since the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Live scoring for the event can be found on the AIBA website at www.aiba.org.
Ed Rivas (San Antonio, Texas), Kenneth Sims, Sr. (Chicago, Ill.), Kevin Benford (Cincinnati, Ohio), Edward “Mike” Murphy (Port Jeff Station, N.Y.), Jose Alday, Sr. (Odessa, Texas), and Todd Harlib (Cape Coral, Fla.) guided the U.S. athletes in Kazakhstan with Dr. Tony Al-Amin (Philadelphia, Pa.) working as the Team Physician.
201+ lbs: Magomedrasul Medzhidov, AZE, dec. Cam F. Awesome, Lenexa, Kansas/USA, 3-0
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In
- Hatton says Browne could fight Tyson Fury…
- Danny Garcia media workout quotes