- Dodgers Give Manny Pacquiao the Start For Labor Day Game
- Berto vs Upsher on Sept 6
- Jose Ramirez Visits Vally Children’s Hospital
- ‘Dragon Fire’ Welsh Championship Boxing
- Chris Algieri to be Grand Marshal at 5th Annual Huntington Awareness Day Parade
- Joshua faces Bakhtov on October 11 in first title fight
The United States Winning Streak Moves to Eleven as Five More American Boxers Advance to the Medal Round at the 2013 Independence Cup
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) – The United States winning streak is now at 11 following a second undefeated day of boxing at the 2013 Independence Cup in Santiago, Dominican Republic for the American squad. All five U.S. boxers emerged victorious in Wednesday’s quarterfinal action as light flyweight Leroy Davila (New Brunswick, N.J.) and flyweight Shawn Simpson (Chicago, Ill.) made their tournament debuts. Lightweight Kenneth Sims, Jr. (Chicago, Ill.) won his third bout of the event with light welterweight Erickson Lubin (Kissimmee, Fla.) and welterweight Rashidi Ellis (Lynn, Mass.) each claiming their second victory of the 2013 Independence Cup on Wednesday.
Simpson kicked off the day’s action in a quarterfinal contest with Guatemala’s Eddie Valenzuela Barrilla in flyweight competition. The U.S. Olympic Training Partner defeated the 2008 Guatemalan Olympian, 17-10, to claim the first men’s berth in the medal round for his United States squad.
Sims took on Puerto Rico’s Danieltos Zorrilla De La Rosa in his third straight bout in the Dominican Republic. He won his second straight double-digit victory of the event, taking a 17-6 decision over De La Rosa. Sims will compete in his fourth bout of the Independence Cup in semifinal round boxing on Thursday.
Ellis enjoyed an off day on Tuesday before stepping back through the ropes for a quarterfinal bout with Luis Sanchez of Puerto Rico on Wednesday afternoon. He claimed a 19-13 decision over Sanchez in the welterweight match-up to advance to the semifinals.
Davila took the ring in the first U.S. bout of evening action for a showdown with the Dominican Republic’s Leonel D. Los Santos in light flyweight competition. The New Jersey native won an 11-9 decision over the home nation boxer to advance to the semifinal round.
Lubin joined his four teammates in the finals after his opponent, Eduardo Sanchez Ramirez of Costa Rica, withdrew due to injury.
The two female members of the United States squad, Queen Underwood (Seattle, Wash.) and middleweight Raquel Miller (San Francisco, Calif.), will compete in Thursday’s semifinals as well. Team USA is guaranteed seven medals at the 2013 Independence Cup with only the color of the medals remaining to be determined.
Team USA is being led by coaches Ed Rivas (San Antonio, Texas) and Jason Galarza (Orlando, Fla.) with Dr. Robin Goodfellow (Albion, Mich.) serving as the squad’s physician and Team Manager.
108 lbs: Leroy Davila, New Brunswick, N.J./USA dec. Leonel D. Los Santos, PUR, 11-9
114 lbs: Shawn Simpson, Chicago, Ill./USA dec. Eddie Valenzuela Barrilla, GUA
132 lbs: Kenneth Sims, Jr./USA dec. Danielitos Zorrilla De La Rosa, PUR
141 lbs: Erickson Lubin, Kissimmee, Fla./USA won on disqualification over Eduardo Sanchez Ramirez, CRC, DQ
152 lbs: Rashidi Ellis, Lynn, Mass./USA dec. Luis Sanchez, PUR, 19-13
USA Boxing, as the national governing body for Olympic-style boxing, is the United States’ member organization of the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).
- Comanche Boy Cruises To Victory Over Tracy Sneed
- Shannon Briggs destroys Cory Phelps in 1st round TKO
- Don “Da Bomb” George claims IBO Super Middleweight Belt
- Mhlongo & Mlotshwa Impressive In WBF Title Fight Victories
- Results from Friday’s “New Blood” Event in Corona, CA
- Trout gets off the canvas and back into the win column
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- DMV’s Celebrity Weekend of Champions!
- Bob Arum on Mayweather Jr. vs. Pacquiao: “All signs seem to point to the fight happening early next year”
- Johnny Nelson: I could still beat ‘plastic’ champion Huck
- Andre Berto Eyes Impressive Showing in September 6 Ring Return
- Marcos Maidana Interview Transcript
- Mexican Boxing Legends Talk Marcos Maidana
- Nonito Donaire vs. Nicholas Walters on October 18th at StubHub Center, Carson, California