- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
- Masternak joins forces with legendary German coach Wegner
Trout: Golden Boy is protecting Canelo from me
By Rob Smith: WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout believes that Golden Boy Promotions are looking to protect their “Golden Goose” WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez from facing him, and potentially suffering a loss that would wreck his marketability.
Trout said on his twitter “I personally don’t believe that Canelo is ducking me. I do believe that [Richard] Schaefer [the CEO of Golden Boy] and Golden Boy is though. Have faith in your boy, GB.”
That’s easier said than done. Schaefer has been pretty transparent about his reluctance to put Canelo in with Trout with his comments about Trout needing more big fight experience before he’d agree to let him fight Canelo. I guess it wasn’t enough that Trout beat former WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto in his last fight.
Schaefer said that he would be looking at matching Canelo with Alfredo Angulo, James Kirkland or Trout for the May 4th fight date on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather Jr. card. Canelo is saying he won’t fight any of those guys unless he can get an agreement for a September fight with Mayweather.
Canelo’s fans believe that he’d make easy work with a fighter like Trout if that fight were to be made, but in looking at Canelo’s recent fight against 41-year-old Shane Mosley, it’s doubtful Canelo would make it easy. In fact, I think Trout would have a very good chance of beating Canelo. Of course, if Golden Boy doesn’t make that fight then it really doesn’t matter because Canelo and Golden Boy won’t have to worry about facing Trout.
Trout said on his twitter “So the same people who said I’ll get KO’d by Cotto are the same ones calling him ‘Washed up’. You so called fans kill me sometimes. It’s also the same fans that are now saying Canelo will KO me. When will y’all learn to never doubt Trout!”
The southpaw Trout is a very smart fighter, and incredibly hard to hit with any regularity. I think Canelo would have a lot of problems with him, and Trout could very well sink Golden Boy’s “Golden Goose” Canelo, and remove any chance of him fighting Mayweather in the near future.
Golden Boy and Canelo are kind of boxed in right now based on Trout’s win over Cotto. Too many boxing fans that fight, and they expect Golden Boy and Canelo to step up and take on Trout. If Canelo doesn’t take that fight then it’s likely going to hurt his popularity with a lot of fans.
The casual fans that didn’t see the Trout-Cotto fight won’t care because they’ll be clueless to the fact that Canelo was supposed to fight the winner of that fight, if it was Cotto. But a lot of fans saw that fight and if Canelo and/or Golden Boy choose to duck the Trout fight, it could leave boxing fans with the impression that Canelo is a pampered fighter based on hype and a lot of easy mismatches against smaller opponents.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015