- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn't Learn Anything New
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo's Next Rival?
- Froch-Groves meet at Wembley press conference ahead of rematch - 60,000 tickets gone in an hour!
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Canelo vs Angulo, Santa Cruz, Rigondeaux, and Tony Weeks!
- Cotto vs. Martinez Puerto Rico Press Conference
- ESPN Thursday Night Fights at ‘The World’s Most Beautiful Race Course’
- Bryant and Santiago set to tangle Friday night at the Hamilton Manor!!
- CANADIAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP GEORGE CHUVALO SET FOR 2014 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND
- Friday is time to shine for M-1 Global light heavyweight champion Viktor Nemkov
- WARREN WINS SAUNDERS-BLANDAMURA PURSE BIDS
- Bruno Escalante to defend IBA Super Flyweight Title against Victor Ruiz April 5
UK: Mouneimne challenges Warrington; Maciel ready to trample on Rose
Samir Mouneimne will challenge Josh Warrington for the vacant Commonwealth Featherweight title at the Hull Ice Arena on November 2, live on Sky Sports.
Leeds’ English champ Warrington enters enemy territory against unbeaten Hull star Mouneimne on a bumper bill in east Yorkshire, as Luke Campbell MBE fights for the third time as a pro against Lee Connolly, his second fight on home turf.
Warrington won the vacant English title in November with a win over Chris Male and successfully defended it against Jamie Speight in March and Ian Bailey last month. Mouniemne (12-0-1) has been hunting a first title shot for some time, and promoter Eddie Hearn expects plenty of passion when the pair clash for the belt.
“I am delighted that Samir has got this shot at Josh for the Commonwealth crown,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “It’s great to bring another title fight to a local fighter on November 2. Josh brings huge support from Leeds and it will be a fantastic atmosphere in the Ice Arena.”
Mouneimne and Warrington are part of a great line-up in Hull as Olympic hero Campbell aims for a third first round win.
Unbeaten Sheffield Heavyweight Richard Towers faces Australian Lucas Browne in an eliminator for the Commonwealth title, local Lightweight prospect Tommy Coyle meets John Simpson for the vacant IBF International title, Driffield Lightweight Curtis Woodhouse returns after his Commonwealth title challenge and two more Hull favourites are in action – Light Welterweight Zak Collins and Lightweight Joel Haigh.
Tickets are on sale priced at £40, £60 and £100, with VIP tickets priced at £150 – all tickets are available from Matchroom Sport at matchroomboxing.com and on 01277 359900.
Maciel ready to trample on Rose for second World title shot
Argentine faces Blackpool star in Light Middleweight eliminator in Sheffield
Javier Maciel believes his World title experience will be the key when he takes on Brian Rose in a final eliminator for the WBO Light Middleweight title at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield on Saturday (October 26) live on Sky Sports.
Maciel has already boxed for a World title having challenged unbeaten Russian Dmitry Pirog for the Middleweight crown in 2011, and the Argentine says the stakes couldn’t be higher as the pair meet in the Steel City this weekend.
“This is one of the most important fights of my career because it would mean another chance to fight for a world title, and this time I’ll be better prepared and more experienced,” said Maciel.
“I’ve mainly been sparring with Mike Jones and Carlos De Leon Jr in Las Vegas. I’ve seen various videos of Rose. He has a good boxing style, he’s compact. It’s going to be a difficult fight but I’m going to bring it to him to be able to get the win.
“I don’t mind where the fight is held because I just have to focus myself on winning by any way possible. I’m feeling pretty calm and ready to bring home a victory for Argentina.
“We’re ready for each fight to go 12 rounds. I’ll be calm in there and do things in the best possible way.”
Maciel travelled to Ekaterinburg to face Pirog for the title and lost on points to the hometown hero. The 29 year old admits that he was not in the right place to defeat the Russian that night, but with four stoppage wins inside five rounds in his last four fights he is ready to take the next step.
“Firstly I had an injury in my left hand which didn’t allow me to be at 100 per cent,” said Maciel. “I just wasn’t prepared mentally to be a World champion. My amateur career was pretty short and I hadn’t had that many professional fights at the time. I lacked experience and I lacked preparation.
“I take it all as a good experience though, and right now I’m a completely different fighter.
“Light Middleweight is better for me. My rivals were weighing almost 80kg on fight night and I don’t get up to that weight myself, so I think now I’m at my ideal weight class.”
Rose and Maciel clash on a massive night of boxing in Sheffield, where hometown favourite Kell Brook faces Vyacheslav Senchenko in a huge Welterweight showdown.
Rising Liverpool star Callum Smith meets Ruben Acosta for the vacant WBC Super Middleweight International title and Olympic Gold medal hero Anthony Joshua MBE faces Paul Butlin in his second professional fight.
There’s a welcome return to action for Kal Yafai, the exciting 8-0 bantamweight who boxes for the first time since injuring his bicep in his last outing in March, while popular Sheffield fighters Adam Etches, Scott Jenkins and Sam O’Maison also feature.
Tickets are on sale now priced £30, £40, £60 and £100 through the Motorpoint Arena – www.motorpointarenasheffield.co.uk – and on 0114 2565656.
VIP packages priced £200 are available exclusively through Matchroom Boxing – www.matchroomboxing.com – or call 01277 359900.
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- The Pugilist KOrner: Ann Wolfe, Kermit Cintron, Sugar Hill, Karim Mayfield, Gary Russell Jr, and more
- Bernard Hopkins & Beibut Shumenov Washington D.C. Presser Quotes
- DANNY “SWIFT” GARCIA MAKES HIS GRAND ARRIVAL IN PUERTO RICO
- Andre Berto Cleared by Physician for Light Sparring, to Begin Full Contact in Mid-April
- Scouting Report for Saturday’s Adamek-Glazkov Fight on NBCSN Fight Night
- Huck fractures thumb, March 29th show cancelled
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior