- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Video: George Groves - Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- American heavyweight sensation Jarrell Miller on MSG tonight
- Lightweight Jose Roman Training Camp Notes
- GOLOVKIN/RUBIO Standing Room Only Tickets on Sale Today at 1pm PT!!!
- Wright vs Bujaj on MSG tonight
- Kal Yafai is looking to add a second major title to his collection
- Andy Gatenby seeking sixth straight win
Undercard announced for Iron Mike Promotions debut show Aug. 23 at Turning Stone
DEERFIELD, Fla. (August 6, 2013) – A stacked undercard showcasing world-class boxers, promising prospects and local favorites has been announced by Iron Mike Productions for its inaugural event on August 23, “Tyson Is Back!”, at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York.
Acquinity Sports, under CEO Garry Jonas, partnered with Hall of Famer Mike Tyson to form Iron Mike Productions, which is presenting “Tyson Is Back!” in association with Greg Cohen Promotions.
“Tyson Is Back” features a World Championship doubleheader, airing live on ESPN Friday Night Fights, and headlined by International Boxing Federation (IBF) super featherweight champion Argenis “La Tormenta” Mendez (21-2, 11 KOs) in his first world title defense against IBF No. 13-rated Arash Usmanee (20-1, 10 KOs) in the 12-round main event.
Unbeaten Claudio “The Matrix” Marrero (14-0, 11 KOs), rated No. 2 by the WBA, against WBA No. 4 Jesus Cueller (22-1, 18 KOs) in the 12-round co-feature for the Interim World Boxing Association (WBA) featherweight championship.
Providing chief support are a pair of 10-round fights featuring Cuban knockout artist Alexei “The Hurricane” Collado (16-0, 15 KOs) and welterweight Ed “The Lion” Paredes (33-3-1, 22 KOs). Collado, now fighting out of Miami, takes on Mexican featherweight Hugo “Guerrero” Partida (19-4-2, 15 KOs), while Paredes faces another tough Mexican, Noe “Platanito” Bolanos (24-8-1, 16 KOs). Collado is rated No. 14 by the WBA and No. 15 by the IBF. Paredes is one of only two welterweights in the world who is currently ranked among the top 15 in all four major sanctioning bodies: World Boxing Council (WBC) & WBA #3, World Boxing Organization (WBO) No. 11, and IBF No. 13.
“The quality of our undercard is spectacular,” Iron Mike Productions COO Henry Rivalta said. “On any other ESPN Friday Night Fights card, Ed Paredes and Alexi Collado would be fighting in the main event and co-feature. This is the debut show for Iron Mike Productions, so we wanted to load-up the card from top to bottom. Paredes is No. 3 in the world and one of the most avoided welterweights. The fact Carlos Burgos turned down a fight against Collado gives everyone and idea of what top opponents feel about Alexei.”
Also fighting on the undercard in six-round bouts are undefeated Bahamian light heavyweight Ryan “Big Youth” McKenzie (13-0, 11 KOs), now residing in Canastota, New York against an opponent to be determined, and unbeaten Virginian middleweight Antoine Douglas (8-0, 6 KOs) squares-off against Russell “Spiderman” Jordan (15-10, 10 KOs), of Rochester (NY).
Former Toledo-Ohio-based amateur star, Albert “Prince” Bell (1-0, 1 KO), is back in action against New York City super featherweight Angel Siguenza (0-1) in a four-round match. The 20-year-old Bell captured gold medals as an amateur at the 2011 National PAL Championships and 2012 National Golden Gloves Tournament.
All fights and fighters are subject to change.
Mendez, Marrero, Collado, Paredes and Bell were promoted by Acquinity Sports and are now fighting under the Iron Mike Productions banner.
Tickets priced at $150, $95, $55 and $45 are on sale and available to purchase at the Turning Stone box office, by calling (315) 361-7469, or visit www.Ticketmaster.com.
Doors open at the Turning Stone Resort Casino Event Center at 6:00 p.m. Friday, August 23. The first undercard bout starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. The live ESPN2 telecast begins at 9:00 p.m. ET.
Iron Mike Productions, previously Acquinity Sports, is a boxing promotion company co-founded and led by Acquinity Interactive CEO Garry Jonas. It is a partnership with Hall of Famer Mike Tyson committed to changing traditional boxing promotion by advocating for its fighters’ successes inside the ring and out, throughout their professional careers and into retirement.
For additional information go online at www.IronMikeProductions.com or www.TurningStone.com.
- Fight To Educate Boxing Results
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Video: George Groves – Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things