- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- Shakur Stevenson, Jajaira Gonzalez and Darmani Rock to Kick Off 2014 Youth Olympic Games Competition for Team USA
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
USA Boxing’s Elite Men to Face Off with European Foes at the Makar Mazai in Ukraine
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) – USA Boxing has traveled to Ukraine for the third time in 2013 as the elite men prepare to face off with seven squads from Europe at the Makar Mazai Memorial in Mariupol, Ukraine. Team USA made the long journey overseas on Saturday and is currently preparing for competition to begin on Wednesday. The 10-man squad could face opponents from Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Moldova, and Azerbaijan in tournament action.
The United States team includes nine 2013 USA Boxing National Champions and light heavyweight silver medalist John Magda (Rutherford, N.J.). Magda and flyweight Malik Jackson (Washington DC) will make their international debuts in Ukraine while eight of their teammates are returning to international action fresh off a successful visit to Puerto Rico. Light flyweight Leroy Davila (New Brunswick, N.J.), bantamweight Eduardo Martinez (Aurora, Ill.), lightweight Kenneth Sims, Jr. (Chicago, Ill.), light welterweight Jose Alday (Odessa, Texas), welterweight Jamontay Clark (Cincinnati, Ohio), middleweight LeShawn Rodriquez (Shirley, N.Y.), heavyweight Michael Hilton (Trenton, N.J.), and super heavyweight Cam F. Awesome (Lenexa, Kansas) will compete in their second recent international event in Ukraine.
The tournament general weigh-in will take place on Wednesday prior to the official event draw and first session of competition. Team USA will look to continue the international success they enjoyed in Puerto Rico where the squad won team trophies at two events. The squad will take on a different test than they faced in Puerto Rico, battling European opponents at the Makar Mazai Memorial.
Male junior and youth squads from the United States each traveled to Ukraine for international competitions earlier this year, winning 15 medals between the two events. Coaches Kevin Benford (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Kenneth Sims, Sr. (Chicago, Ill.) will guide Team USA in Makar Mazai Memorial action.
Makar Mazai Memorial Tournament U.S. Roster
108 lbs: Leroy Davila, New Brunswick, N.J.
114 lbs: Malik Jackson, Washington DC
123 lbs: Eduardo Martinez, Aurora, Ill.
132 lbs: Kenneth Sims, Jr., Chicago, Ill.
141 lbs: Jose Alday, Odessa, Texas
152 lbs: Jamontay Clark, Cincinnati, Ohio
165 lbs: LeShawn Rodriquez, Shirley, N.Y.
178 lbs: John Magda, Rutherford, N.J.
201 lbs: Michael Hilton, Trenton, N.J.
201+ lbs: Cam F. Awesome, Lenexa, Kansas
Coach: Kevin Benford, Cincinnati, Ohio
Coach: Kenneth Sims, Sr., Chicago, Ill.
USA Boxing, as the national governing body for Olympic-style boxing, is the United States’ member organization of the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015