USA Boxing’s Elite Men to Face Off with European Foes at the Makar Mazai in Ukraine
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) – USA Boxing has traveled to Ukraine for the third time in 2013 as the elite men prepare to face off with seven squads from Europe at the Makar Mazai Memorial in Mariupol, Ukraine. Team USA made the long journey overseas on Saturday and is currently preparing for competition to begin on Wednesday. The 10-man squad could face opponents from Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Moldova, and Azerbaijan in tournament action.
The United States team includes nine 2013 USA Boxing National Champions and light heavyweight silver medalist John Magda (Rutherford, N.J.). Magda and flyweight Malik Jackson (Washington DC) will make their international debuts in Ukraine while eight of their teammates are returning to international action fresh off a successful visit to Puerto Rico. Light flyweight Leroy Davila (New Brunswick, N.J.), bantamweight Eduardo Martinez (Aurora, Ill.), lightweight Kenneth Sims, Jr. (Chicago, Ill.), light welterweight Jose Alday (Odessa, Texas), welterweight Jamontay Clark (Cincinnati, Ohio), middleweight LeShawn Rodriquez (Shirley, N.Y.), heavyweight Michael Hilton (Trenton, N.J.), and super heavyweight Cam F. Awesome (Lenexa, Kansas) will compete in their second recent international event in Ukraine.
The tournament general weigh-in will take place on Wednesday prior to the official event draw and first session of competition. Team USA will look to continue the international success they enjoyed in Puerto Rico where the squad won team trophies at two events. The squad will take on a different test than they faced in Puerto Rico, battling European opponents at the Makar Mazai Memorial.
Male junior and youth squads from the United States each traveled to Ukraine for international competitions earlier this year, winning 15 medals between the two events. Coaches Kevin Benford (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Kenneth Sims, Sr. (Chicago, Ill.) will guide Team USA in Makar Mazai Memorial action.
Makar Mazai Memorial Tournament U.S. Roster
108 lbs: Leroy Davila, New Brunswick, N.J.
114 lbs: Malik Jackson, Washington DC
123 lbs: Eduardo Martinez, Aurora, Ill.
132 lbs: Kenneth Sims, Jr., Chicago, Ill.
141 lbs: Jose Alday, Odessa, Texas
152 lbs: Jamontay Clark, Cincinnati, Ohio
165 lbs: LeShawn Rodriquez, Shirley, N.Y.
178 lbs: John Magda, Rutherford, N.J.
201 lbs: Michael Hilton, Trenton, N.J.
201+ lbs: Cam F. Awesome, Lenexa, Kansas
Coach: Kevin Benford, Cincinnati, Ohio
Coach: Kenneth Sims, Sr., Chicago, Ill.
USA Boxing, as the national governing body for Olympic-style boxing, is the United States’ member organization of the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).
- WEIGHTS FROM TWIN RIVER
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah final press conference quotes
- Gunn and Johnson confirm “Celtic Warrior vs Road Warrior”!
- When enough is not enough
- Stevens – Majewski, Mchunu – Wilson Begin NBCSN Fight 2014 With a Bang
- Diaz vs. Ellison headlining 50 Cent’s Big Apple Boxing show Dec. 20
- Undefeated David Rodriguez ready for redemption at resorts AC
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights