WBAN petitions International Olympic Committee on behalf of elite women boxers
PORTLAND, Ore. (July 29, 2013) – On behalf of elite female amateur boxers, Women Boxing Archive Network (WBAN) has begun a petition addressed to the International Olympic Committee to increase opportunities and prevent discrimination against female boxers, as well as other women athletes.
The WBAN petition is specifically addressed to President Jacques Rogge & Executive Board (EB) International Olympic Committee (I.O.C.), Lausanne, Switzerland; President Dr. Ching-Kuo Wu & Executive Committee – International Boxing Association, Lausanne, Switzerland (A.I.B.A).
WBAN is petitioning the International Olympic Committee (I.O.C.) to reconsider its decision to limited women’s boxing to only three weight-class divisions at the 2016 Olympics Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
By restricting female boxers to participate in only three divisions, female boxers that do not compete in those categories will not be able to compete in The Olympics. The men’s boxing division has 10 weight classes. WBAN believes the discrepancy between the sanctioned divisions for female vs. male boxers in The Olympics as discriminatory.
WBAN was informed on July 25, 2013 that the I.O.C. had decided that there would be no increase in weight classes for amateur female boxers in the 2016 Olympics. In a report WBAN published on the aforementioned date, the statement made by the I.O.C Executive Board HQ in Lausanne, Switzerland offering this explanation:
The EB discussed the topic of possible modifications to disciplines, events, quotas and competition formats at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, and reiterated that any request from International Federations that would result in a higher number of athletes or increased number of medals, thereby adding to the cost and complexity of the Games, would not be considered.
WBAN was also informed that this decision not only applied to female boxing but other sporting organizations including sailing, swimming and cycling.
WBAN is asking the public to sign this petition in hopes that the I.O.C. reconsiders its decision regarding the amount of 2013 Olympic weight classes for amateur female boxers.
Link to the WBAN Petition
Go to www.wban.com for additional information about the petition and other news in women’s boxing, and follow WBAN on Twitter @WBANbuzz and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/sue.t.fox?v=feed&viewas=703523350.
- Clarke Back In Action
- Beard Backs Malinga To Beat Hall For World Crown
- ‘Rocky’ Returns After Two Years Out At Wigan
- Michael Jennings: “Matty can’t think past his next fight”
- Price’s ring-return delayed by virus
- Lionell Thompson plans to destroy Ryan Coyne Saturday in Atlantic City
- Local Stars Triumph In WBF Title Fights
- Thrill-a-minute slugger James Kirkland is BACK!
- Dazzling Darren Barker fails to weather the Sturm; Post Fight Video Interviews
- Sakio Bika Draws With Anthony Dirrell: Retains WBC 168 lb Strap
- Malignaggi defeats Judah, wants Broner-Maidana winner
- Rigondeaux dominates Agbeko; Macklin defeats Russ; Kirkland stops Tapia
- Malignaggi decisions Judah; Porter defeats Alexander; Lara beats Trout
- Italy 4-1 Germany: Team Deutschland crushed