- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- FIGHT FANS READY FOR AUGUST 22 ESPN FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS FROM PECHANGA RESORT & CASINO
- Abraham-Smith: kick-off press conference – quotes
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
- Frankie De Alba Headlines on Saturday, October 4 at Valley Forge Casino & Resort
- Undefeated Mexican Future Stars In WBF Title Fights
- STALKER TO FACE JENKINS IN BRITISH TITLE ELIMINATOR ON MAGNIFICENT SEVEN CARD
WBC orders Braekhus vs. Holm mega-fight
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (January 23, 2013) – The World Boxing Council (WBC) Female Championship Committee has ordered a mega-fight between undefeated WBC welterweight champion Cecilia “First Lady” Braekhus (21-0, 5 KOs) and 14-time, three-division world champion Holly “The Preacher’s Daughter” Holm (32-2-3, 9 KOs).
The WBC has awarded the distinction of the Diamond Belt for the Braekhus-Holm fight because “it is regarded as one of the best fights in the history of female boxing.”
If the promoters for Braekhus (Sauerland Boxing) and Holm (Fresquez Productions) are unable to reach an agreement, the WBC will conduct a purse bid Friday, February 15 at the its headquarters in Mexico City.
“Sometimes you need to be careful what you ask for,” Holm’s promoter Lenny Fresquez warned. “This reminds me of Mary Jo Sanders all over again. We all know what happened there (Holm won 10-round decision for IBA light middleweight title and then they fought to a draw) and we never heard from her after she challenged Holly (in 2008).”
Braekhus issued a video challenge to WBC No. 1-rated Holm after Holly’s last fight in December, which Holm quickly accepted, pending terms, for a July fight in Las Vegas. Talks between Kallie Sauerland and Lenny Fresquez had already started before the WBC’s order (Jan. 17) was sent to the two promoters.
Braekhus has owned the WBC welterweight championship since 2009, when she defeated Vinni Skovgaard by 10-round decision. The Colombian boxer who lives in Norway has made 10 consecutive title defenses. She is also the reigning World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion.
Holm held the WBC welterweight title in 2007 and 2008, stopping Miriam Brakache in the seventh round, and she made one successful title defense against Ann Saccurato with a win by 10-round decision before relinquishing the WBC 147-pound division belt. Holm has also been world champion in the light welterweight and light middleweight divisions.
For more information go to www.fresquezproductions.com or follow Holly Holm on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HollyHolm.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent