Will Tomlinson Defeats Malcolm Klassen to Retain IBO Super Featherweight Title
Australian Will Tomlinson (21-0-1, 12 KOs) has retained the IBO super featherweight title in defeating South African Malcolm Klassen (27-6-2, 14 KOs) via unanimous decision in Melbourne, Australia tonight.
In what seemed a very competitive fight from start to finish, Tomlinson was aggressive, looking to stalk down the two time IBF super featherweight champion Klassen from the outset. The first round saw Tomlinson land a controversial knockdown on the South African that appeared to be from a shove, with Klassen showing considerable displeasure to the referee’s ruling.
Klassen showed his world champion pedigree in the middle rounds, landing some terrific uppercuts on the Australian, showing great movement and plenty of flamboyance.
Tomlinson received two cuts near his right eye, with the second cut, in round eight, ruled from a punch, which saw blood gushing down his cheek which required the ringside doctors’ attention.
The final rounds saw both fighters have their moments but Tomlinson looked the more confident once the final bell sounded.
The judge’s scorecards validated his confidence, reading 117-110, 118-109 and 118-109 all in favour of Tomlinson. An infuriated Klassen immediately exited the ring upon the announcement, clearly appalled by the decision.
In the main support bout, former Contender Australia winner Garth Wood (12-3-1, 7 KOs) scored a second round TKO win over South African Virgil Kalakoda (24-9-3, 16 KOs) to capture the vacant WBA Pan African middleweight title.
- When enough is not enough
- Stevens – Majewski, Mchunu – Wilson Begin NBCSN Fight 2014 With a Bang
- Diaz vs. Ellison headlining 50 Cent’s Big Apple Boxing show Dec. 20
- Undefeated David Rodriguez ready for redemption at resorts AC
- Mike Tyson’s blue-chip welterweight prospect Erickson Lubin is future of boxing
- Will Agbeko Perform Better Than Donaire Against Rigondeaux?
- WBC News
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights