- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Floyd Mayweather, Marcos Maidana, Timothy Bradley, and more!
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Arum wants Pacquiao vs. Mayweather in Macao, China
- Atlas: Mayweather did just enough to win
- The United States’ Jose Alday, Jr., and LeShawn Rodriquez Advance in Leszek Drogosz Competition in Poland
- Mchunu-Wilson Final Press Conference Quotes
- Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Premieres This Saturday on SHOWTIME Immediately Followed By “ALL ACESS: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Epilogue”
- Lange-Jeter 2 The Rematch set for Nov. 15 at Patriot Center
- POPULAR TWO-TIME NEW YORK GOLDEN GLOVES CHAMPION EARL NEWMAN TO MAKE PRO DEBUT ON OCTOBER 4TH AT FOXWOODS RESORT CASINO, IN MASHANTUCKET, CONN.
- Special Afternoon Edition of Fight Night on Broadcast NBC
World Boxing Union Launch WBU Europe – Inaugural Titles Headline Nov 30th London Event
The President of the World Boxing Union, Don ‘Moose’ Lewis, today announced the creation of WBU Europe, with the express purpose of enhancing the presence of WBU World, Inter-Continental and International Championship Boxing throughout Europe, as well as the development of the WBU Europe Championship.
WBU Europe, which is headquartered in London, England, is a joint venture between WBU President Mr. Lewis and co-founding Vice President of the Malta Boxing Commission, as well as the former Marketing Director of the World Boxing Federation, Gianluca (Rio) Di Caro.
The new venture was originally due to launch in January 2014, however with so much interest being shown, during initial discussions with promoters, that the launch date has been brought forward.
The first brace of WBU Europe Championship bouts will take place on the Dave Murphy Acourtier Events promoted ‘WAR ZONE’ show at York Hall on Saturday 30th November, when former WBO-IBF Inter-Continental Champion Mark Prince campaigns for the vacant Cruiserweight crown and Marianne Marston challenges for the vacant Female Super Bantamweight title.
This announcement comes at a time when the World Boxing Union is once more in the ascendancy, with no less than six Championship bouts being campaigned for at four locations in November.
Besides the two European titles previously mentioned, on November 15th Chris “Kayo Kid” Fernandez takes on Hector Alatorre for the WBU Welterweight World Championship, at The Complex in Rockwell, Salt Lake City, Utah on November 15th.
Just two weeks later Irish Champion Lee Murtagh challenges Harry Jorgey for the WBU World Middleweight crown and Reading PA’s Travis Kauffman takes on Manuel Quezada for the WBU Inter-Continental Heavyweight title, on the Marshall Kauffman King’s Boxing promoted GET READING TO RUMBLE Event at the Santander Arena in Reading PA, on Saturday, 30th November.
On the same night Vinnie Carita is set to face Alonzo Toney, for both the WBU Americas Cruiserweight and IBU Americas Cruiserweight titles in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Further WBU Europe Championship bouts, as well as World and Inter-Continental Championship bouts, that will be campaigned for in both Europe and America this year, are expected to be announced in the coming week or so.
Taking a few minutes off from his increasingly busy schedule, WBU President Don Lewis spoke briefly on the exciting new venture.
“The WBU is both pleased and proud of our new joint venture of WBU Europe with my friend and partner Gianluca Di Caro.
While we have sought a working partner in Europe the last 2 years, no one met our criteria until Mr. Di Caro became available.
From our first discussion regarding the formation of WBU Europe, it has been a smooth journey to our launch on 30 November 2013.
We congratulate all the persons behind the scenes who made this new venture possible.“
Please go online to www.wbueurope.eu or www.wbuboxing.org for additional information on upcoming WBU and WBU Europe sanctioned title fights.
Follow WBU and WBU Europe on Twitter @WBUEurope – friend us at www.facebook.com/WBUEurope and on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/wbu-europe
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things